Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Jonzun Crew and Beyond

By Ed Piskor at 6:36 am Tue, Apr 23, 2013

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

Published 6:36 am Tue, Apr 23, 2013

About the Author

Hip Hop Family Tree is in stores. Pre-order Hip Hop Family Tree book 2 on Amazon!

More at Boing Boing

Mimi Pond: "MAD was our communist manifesto in my house while I was growing up"

This episode of Gweek is brought to you by Bombfell, the glorious clothing service for men that sends handpicked outfits to your door. Go to bombfell.com/gweek to get $10 off your first purchase. And by Stamps.com — get a $110 sign-up bonus with the offer code GWEEK!

The magic of hacking reality

As humans, we search for ways to escape reality. For centuries, magicians have fucked our minds in the blink of an eye. Magic experience designer Ferdinando Buscema tells us how.

11 Responses to “Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Jonzun Crew and Beyond”

1. Carpeteria says:

Hell yes. One of the best ones yet, Ed.

Jonzun Crew is amazing – early Vocoder pioneers, and straight up crazy guys who knew how to capitalize on the trends (space/Pac Man/etc.).

There’s a lot of fun info on them in Dave Tompkins’ book How to Wreck a Nice Beach, which is a fantastic account of the history of the Vocoder and its predecessors back to its use as a military communication device and up through modern music.

2. Vinnie Tesla says:

Re: the Pack Jam video:

My goodness but that was peculiar!

3. mikei says:

Awesome Ed.  Always awesome.

4. noah django says:

Maurice Starr confirmed for megalomaniac:

5. brettburton says:

2 questions.  Who placed first in the talent competition over New Edition?

And, I’ve heard rumors that there was alleged molestation of members of New Edition, was Maurice Starr involved?

6. I find it kind of fascinating that Starr put New Kids on the Block together in 1984, but they didn’t really make a dent in pop culture until 1988 or 1989. It’s astounding to me that such a manufactured group would stay together and keep turning out music for four years without success. I’d have thought that everyone involved would have gotten bored or started looking for the next new thing in that time.

• Ed Piskor says:

That was interesting for me to find out too. It gives me the impression that NKOTB just handled it like it was a paper route for a few years. Then things got nuts.