Lake Peigneur salt mine collapse

It seems we love mine collapses at Boing Boing. The earlier posts got me to thinking about the Lake Peigneur disaster. The story is amazing but oh so familiar, a wayward oil company makes an error and mistakenly drains a lake into a salt mine. It is incredible and you can watch!

Previously on Boing Boing:

Video of a collapsing tin mine next to the ocean in Malaysia (1993)

Inside a mile-deep open-pit copper mine after a catastrophic landslide

15 Responses to “Lake Peigneur salt mine collapse”

1. xzzy says:

I’m curious what kind of water is still down in the shaft, and if there’s a giant (flooded) cavern down there. If so, I challenge some mega rich nerd to crack the shaft open and send a robotic submersible down, just to see if there’s anything to see.

I also wonder how salty that water would be!

• Diogenes says:

It should be fully-saturated brine by now, and hopefully it’s greater density will make it stay put.  If fresh water were to keep intruding, the columns supporting the levels, and the island, would erode and collapse.

2. RedShirt77 says:

There is a song about it.  The hook is   “Boo-ya Boo-ya, it was a Coonhat’s Mount St Helens”

3. I had a similar “oops!” in Dwarf Fortress.  Vortex and all!

4. toobigtofail says:

There’s a museum at the edge of the botanical garden across the way from the tabasco factory where you can watch the video and get the whole history. Fascinating stuff.  Jefferson Island is interesting partly because the reset of Louisiana is so flat.

5. anon0mouse says:

And the “No S#!T Sherlock” award goes to: Announcer! for his observation that, “The cause of the disaster was never officially determined. The culprit was, most likely, a 14 inch wide drill bit.”

6. penguinchris says:

The old man who first appears at ~5:20 transcends the awesomeness of the disaster itself with his hat.

7. echolocate chocolate says:

Wow. It’s a good thing we’ve put oil behind us, after all the reckless damage and destruction the oil industry has repeatedly done. Can you imagine living in a world where we still depend on that awful, selfish, careless industry?

8. Mister44 says:

Ah – my favorite man made disaster!

9. Stiv says:

“It seems we love mine collapses at Boing Boing.”
    My great-grandfather died in the 1924 Milford Mine disaster in Crosby, Minnesota when a blast cause the neighboring Foley Lake to flood the mine, drowing 41 miners.

10. sallyrover says:

Last year I stayed at Rip Van Winkle Gardens, which is the current name for the Live Oaks Gardens, and where much of this was filmed.  We came in Sunday night at dusk and had the place to ourselves–a strange and magical spot.  Glad to know that as crazy as this disaster was, no lives were lost.

11. Imran Khan says:

Anyone have a higher resolution / less compressed version of this? I’m fascinated, but the macro blocking is killing me.

12. Pat L says: