40 Responses to “Russian paratroopers deploy inflatable Orthodox church”

1. RedShirt77 says:

Gee, that sure could come in handy is some sort of situation, I am sure.  Maybe they are ready for the red dawn like invasion of Las Vegas

2. So, is this an emergency inflatable Orthodox church or just an inflatable Orthodox church? Just wondering…..

• Gulliver says:

It’s the back-up emergency inflatable Orthodox church. I already popped the primary emergency inflatable Orthodox church. Now let’s see, where did I put my atheist needle…?

The place in the snow where there is only one set of footprints was where God was airlifted over the tundra.

• Dan Hibiki says:

also an impromptu bouncy castle.

3. anon0mouse says:

I understand that they are fairly fierce and handy with weapons and inspiring others to be the same.

4. FoolishOwl says:

At 3:20, while unpacking the inflatable church, “Do not waste time. Each second is important!”

This is like something from science fiction, written in the 18th century, about the 21st.

5. Hannukah Dreidl says:

I am picturing an arms race of chapel deployments – Israelis, India (they’d need a LOT of sanctuaries!) Sunnis, Shiites, Haiti, the Vatican… I wonder how Shinto (place based) would manage?

6. I don’t want to ever have to explain this behaviour to extraterrestrials.

7. Rich Keller says:

This is really a Warhammer 40K LARP isn’t it?

• fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

Could be Imperial Guard; but the fact that the church didn’t have lascannons and tank treads makes me a bit skeptical…

• for_SCIENCE says:

A Baneblade or Capital Imperialis are about the size of a church for that matter anyways. Cathedrals… tanks… they’re all the same in the Guard.

8. Bucket says:

In an emergency their beards can be used as flotation devices.

9. SedanChair says:

OH GOD HOW DID PUSSY RIOT GET IN HERE

THIS IS WHY WE MADE IT INFLATABLE IN THE FIRST PLACE, TO AVOID THIS SITUATION

10. http://www.army.mod.uk/news/23887.aspx
    Foolish British soldiers are still building their military chapels out of wood.

11. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:American_Civil_War_Chaplain.JPG
    At least this tent seems like it would have been swift to erect.

12. failquail says:

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquis… er… Russian Orthodox church! ;)

13. futnuh says:

Tossing all of those priests out of an airplane at altitude, all I could think of was a paraphrased version of this classic WKRP episode, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg.  “As God is my witness, I thought priests could fly.”

• IronEdithKidd says:

Oh, gods, you’ve just brought the memory of the ‘turkey drop’ episode back to me, with the attendant uncontrollable giggles. ;-)

14. Dr. Sideshow says:

I’m sure Werner Herzog would love this.

15. Girard says:

Inflatable onion domes, or GTFO, Russian military!

16. abstract_reg says:

I was expecting the parachutes to be in the shape of the church. Or at least onions.

17. In Soviet Russia, church goes to you.

18. Artor says:

Son, I am disappoint. When I saw the headline, I thought this was going to be one of those realistic decoys, and I watched the video looking to see colorful spiral onion-top domes. When it turned out to be just another easy-up military tent that they happen to use as a church, I was annoyed I’d taken the time to watch. Boring!

19. One suspects that the military would not be as accommodating for other sects and religions. At some level it seems that the old Soviet “state as a religion” is being transformed to the Russian Orthodox Church as a state religion.

•  Yes, well, I for one am fairly convinced that the revival of religious expression in post-communist Eastern Europe and Russia is less about nascent religious passions than it is about a reaction-formation against the Communist regimes. This sort of shit has much more to do with social psychology than theology.

But then, I think that the USA is the most religious Western state because of, rather than in spite of, the First Amendment.

• invictus says:

*against* the Communist regimes? I’d say what you’re seeing in Russia in particular is a very cozy friendship between church and state, with state regularly using church as both unifying theme and as excuse for getting rid of critics.

20. James Penrose says:

It’s almost a Monty Python sketch.   Bizarre but kind of nifty.  Anyone know what that honking great biplane transport is?  I’ve not seen those before that I can recall.  had no idea anyone was using biplanes at all.

21. Alexander Borsi says:

And this is why we are still stuck on this stupid planet.