Kickstarting a game based on Gaiman's "Study in Emerald" Cthulhu/Holmes mashup

Zack sez, "Neil Gaiman's award-winning mash-up of Sherlock Holmes and H.P. Lovecraft 'A Study in Emerald' gets a Gaiman-approved board game expansion in this new creation from Martin Wallace. The game will only be available through this Kickstarter campaign, and the page for it includes extensive explanations of the rules, game pieces, artwork and the initial and stretch goals for the project."

A Study in Emerald (Thanks, Zack!)

7 Responses to “Kickstarting a game based on Gaiman's "Study in Emerald" Cthulhu/Holmes mashup”

1. Brian Easton says:

Hrm. The Kickstarter clearly says “this game will initially only be available via Kickstarter or direct from Treefrog Games”

2. Cool, I really enjoyed Gaiman´s short story and his surprise twist ending, but I´m more into roleplaying games than card games.
    Ïa ïa!!!

3. aliktren says:

50 quid – cant even imagine the conversation with the missus on this one :)

4. Chentzilla says:

Speaking of Holmes vs Cthulhu, let’s not forget about this little game: Sherlock Holmes – The Awakened

5. SamSam says:

Glad that it will also be available direct through their website, and not just through Kickstarter like Cory’s blurb says.

I don’t know if more campaigns are doing that, but that would seem like a terrible use of Kickstarter. When I give money to a campaign, it’s not just because I want whatever new bauble I’m (basically) pre-ordering, but because I want to kickstart a production, or a company, or some great idea that should take over the world.

If it becomes just a vehicle for preorders, then why not just stick it on Amazon and be done with it?

(NB: argument above directed at the notion of games and such available “only through Kickstarter,” which this game, thankfully, isn’t.)

6. Mark Stephan says:

Like that one won’t reach it’s goal…
    Whoops, there already.
    anybody guess the total?  250k?  500k?

7. Ito Kagehisa says:

I’ll have the Plowman’s and a pint of Shoggoth’s Old Peculiar, please.