Magnetic pick-up tool

13 Responses to “Magnetic pick-up tool”

1. Ito Kagehisa says:

Taking hard drives apart is interesting and educational.   Inside you will find a powerful magnet.  Put it on a stick with duct tape.  Or duck tape if you prefer.

The set of tiny torx bits you’ll need should be available for less than $21.

• PhasmaFelis says:

You’re missing the value of a telescopic mechanism for something you’ll plan to keep on your desk or in your toolbox. Compactness is worth paying for.

You can get telescoping magnets for a lot cheaper than the Craftsman tool, but there’s no light and no long barrel for sweeping about under the couch.

• Ito Kagehisa says:

I see the value, I simply disagree that it’s $21.

You could always use an old radio antenna instead of a stick.

But thanks for the link, that’s a much more reasonable expense!

2. nixiebunny says:

Too bad I use stainless steel screws on all my work-related projects.

3. Rory Santino says:

Alternate tiny screw-finding method (devised after an ill-timed sneeze while fixing an iPhone) – Release cats in suspected area of screw(s). Check paws for screws after a minute or two. I swear they have magnets in their feet…

4. SomeGuy says:

I have one of these.  I use it when I play petanque.   The magnet is strong enough to easily pick up a 650 gram ball and the extension saves my old, aching back so I can play for a whole afternoon now.

5. PhasmaFelis says:

A good companion tool is a telescopic backscratcher, of all things. Very handy when you drop something non-magnetic under your desk and don’t feel like getting down on hands and knees.

Plus you can scratch your back with it.

6. Preston Sturges says:

Also good for checking the sweepings from the shop before you chuck them in the bin.  You will always find an assortment of small nuts and bolts, and often something better, such as a small drill bit.

7. cellocgw says:

Got this far and nobody has made the obligatory complaint about how this tool is useless in singles bars?   What happened to the under-20^H^H50 male crowd here?

8. Cowicide says:

Magnetic pick-up tool

Are we talking about George Clooney or a device for picking up screws?

9. Stephen M says:

Do not stick these anywhere in a mission critical scenario. The magnetic end is only lightly crimped to the telescopic part and is prone to detaching. I had to use an improvised magnet on stick to remove a detached end-piece from the internals of an car engine block. Much swearing was heard.

10. mikea says:

Author here.  (My FIRST published review!)

The tool also worked great at magnetizing my screwdriver bits so they held those tiny screws when I reinstalled them.

I was very careful to keep it away from the hard drive.
    –Mike Andrews