Design jargon bullshit: a Tumblog of greatness

11 Responses to “Design jargon bullshit: a Tumblog of greatness”

1. iamlegion says:

That blog is astounding. Why can’t _I_ find a high-paying job that requires no more talent than telling stupid people they look good?

2. Thorzdad says:

Pretty funny.
    To be fair, though, as a designer, the only time I’ve caught myself (or my fellow designers) spouting such utter bs has been at the insistence of marketing managers, who seem to absolutely thrive on a constant outflow of such vacuous nonsense.

3. peregrinus says:

If our work doesn’t connect emotionally, we’re not doing our job. Luckily, the Simple Truth has reduced some of our client’s to tears, raised the hairs on the back of others necks and given a moment of clarity for others that they’ll never forget.

Doesn’t really sound like a proper sell does it?!

4. Clark Starr says:

This is gold… GOLD!

5. I love that most of the copy on the companies’ websites explaining their design approach is poorly written and often grammatically/syntactically incorrect.

6. James Penrose says:

Go read “The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit” for a view of the advertising/pr world in the 50′s.
    Or Vance Packard’s “The Hidden Persuaders”.

It’s a curiously involuted world where much BS is spouted and much time and money is spent to convince those hiring the ad companies that all this stuff works.

7. TheMudshark says:

While it´s always preferable to talk to clients like to normal human beings, some just don´t seem satisfied if they haven´t been fed the amount of vacuous bullshit they feel entitled to. Where it gets really problematic is when designers fall for their own bullshit and are unable to distinguish it from coherent speech anymore. For most marketing people that ship has sailed a long time ago, as believing their own bullshit it basically what constitutes their job.

8. A C says:

“Market driven solutions”, et al. I cannot stand people who actually speak like this. It’s as if managers and ad men who thrive on this aptly named vaccuuous bullshit think they are actually saying something. A subjugation of the English language occured whenever the first people who created this bullshit used it. Why can’t people just say what it is they do? “We specialize in helping clients target their tech products to niche markets, such as laptop gamers” is real English, for example, not “We thrive on achieving global solutions using proven cloud readiness”.

I cannot stand people that speak with terms like “solutions”, “oriented”, and “cloud-ready/capable”. Everytime I hear shit like this, I want to scream!

9. Timebinder says:

Don’t I know all about that sort of thing after 27 years! My corporate Fortune 500 company’s communications were so full of jargon that it qualified as a foreign language – not only to people outside the company but to most of the people inside. But it didn’t matter really because the people who produced it couldn’t tell you what they were saying, so understanding it wasn’t necessary. I don’t think anyone believed any of it including those who were best at it. It was just an exercise in putting strings of words together that communicated as little as possible while sounding like it might actually mean something. I never understood the purpose of the culture except that it was stupid beyond caring.