Gull eats starfish, auditions for role as LOL animal

11 Responses to “Gull eats starfish, auditions for role as LOL animal”

1. Dave McCaig says:

I caught this gull trying to eat a starfish a couple of years ago in Vancouver. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how he fit it all in there.

• Elizabeth Coleman says:

I watched one in a similar situation. It was just hanging out on the beach, one starfish leg in its mouth. But then, it would spit it out, turn it around, and suck on a different leg. We theorized that it was actually softening up the leg in its crop. The sucked-on leg was much limper and squishier than the others.

2. GawainLavers says:

“And now I’ll just chew up this Reddit moderator: nom, nom, GURK!

3. DevinC says:

The other echinoderms sniggered at Samson for working out all the time, but he had the last laugh.  Or he would have, if starfish could laugh.

4. Supernumerary says:

One of my favorite perfumes, Seagull Eating a Starfish: http://www.zomgsmellsshop.com/seagull-eating-a-starfish-1/

5. Listener43 says:

“[the gulls] might be prompting one species of starfish to slowly turn a different color — an adaptation that makes the species less visible to gulls.”

Well, that seems a bit foolish on the gulls’ part, doesn’t it?

6. 10xor01 says:

When I was a child our English Bulldog did the same thing with a dried starfish brought home from a vacation Florida.  Dogs don’t digest them very well.

7. wrybread says:

Ha great pic. I got lucky with this video of a gull doing his business a couple of weeks ago:

8. timquinn says:

Remember the story about the moths adapting to the darker bark of industrial age trees? Faked.