The cult of Shadow of the Colossus

12 Responses to “The cult of Shadow of the Colossus”

1. bardfinn says:

But … wasn’t SotC’s last big secret already found? And wasn’t it called Journey?

2. Ladyfingers says:

I got like this with the original Deus Ex, piling crates up ’til I could access ceiling rails and ending up behind fences and walls no-one intended me to leap. Didn’t find anything useful, sadly.

• Cocomaan says:

After awhile I started using the console to spawn infinite numbers of cats into the propellers of the black helicopter. Those were the days.

• knoxblox says:

It’s been 7 years, and I’m still trying to jump up onto the ledge in the guardroom of Stealthy Repossession in Dungeons and Dragons Online.

3. DevinC says:

It seems to me like they love the game so much they just can’t stand to see it end.  While I’ve never gone to the same lengths, I can sympathize.

4. -hms- says:

Reading the whole article, I felt like I was reading a brief history or a microcosm of the development and maturation of religion and philosophy. The search for hidden meaning, ascribing intentionality in the developers’ mind form a users perspective, then finding confusingly glitchy, unfinished and poorly defined areas behind the curtain. From the discovery of the supernatural birds, and super-jumping miracles,  It was really enthrallingly written, without ever explicitly making the connection. Particularly in the end, when the focus turned toward finding the unedited cuts, differences between beta and release felt like the discovery of the dead sea scrolls and the gnostic gospels. The hacker pikol seemed to signal a shift to a post-enlightenment era (maybe be using my terminology wrong here…), rather than just finding the hidden wonder of the omnicient developers, looking at the known and unknown and the finished and unfinished elements, and just trying to get the full picture.

5. PaulDavisTheFirst says:

What I find the most bizarre here is that despite the creator(s) of SotC being known, a group of others are willing to be so consumed with discovering something about “the world” (of SotC) that is only a mystery because the creator(s) of the game want it to be.

I don’t say this as a criticism. Perhaps our explorations of science are equally futile and there is some “creator” who could just trivially answer all the questions but chooses not to.  I just personally couldn’t find time to spend on this when I know the actual identities of the people who could choose to answer everything at any time (but don’t).

Exploring a mystery that you are sure has no simple answer is one thing, but exploring one created by a contemporary of yours who just wants to see you run around exploring … that is something else.

• Graceless says:

Perhaps the same could be said of the David Lindelof style of mystery writing?

• -hms- says:

Sounds like Scientology…

6. Dlo Burns says:

I should probably get around to playing this.

7. Antinous / Moderator says:

I keep thinking that this has something to do with Bean.