Labs of the heroic age of science

12 Responses to “Labs of the heroic age of science”

1. GawainLavers says:

…though most labs today look very different

IANARS (I am not a real scientist, despite my degree title), but most labs I’ve been in just look like an updated version of the above.  And none of those have anything on the unrival awesomness of places like LHC or NIF (despite the latters recent unfortunate failure…)

2. nixiebunny says:

That IBM lab where they made the atom-scale animated movie we saw yesterday was pretty nice looking. The STM is a maze of wires and hoses covering a stainless steel vacuum chamber, with lots of test equipment with knobs and dials in the background.

Very scientific.

3. nixiebunny says:

This 40-year-old Polaroid picture of my father’s infrared Fourier spectrometer data analysis computer system is heavily linked in the gamer forums.

4. Alan Olsen says:

It looks like one of the greatest invention in the age of science was the shelf.

Rotwang’s lab in Metropolis also had a lot of influence as to what a “Mad Scientist’s Lab” is supposed to look like. (And you got to love a Mad Scientist named “Rotwang”.)

5. Sylvia says:

There sure are more computers these days, but as a (former) material scientist, I can also still relate to the vintage pictures. There just is a large variety among different areas of research.
    You can check it out for yourself: Eos (a Belgian science magazine) asks scientists to Twitter pictures of their work place (#mijnlab); a selection of the results is here: http://www.eoswetenschap.eu/artikel/mijnlab-de-werkplek-van-de-wetenschapper

6. Nice wallpaper.  Modern labs just don’t have that nice wallpaper any  more.

7. massspecgeek says:

I think a scientist from the 19th century would recognize my lab for what it is. It still has lots of glassware, it just also has lots of large, expensive equipment they wouldn’t immediately recognize.

8. gumbowing says:

Note the subtle glow suffusing the Curie lab. Also, pipe smoking while doing science.

9. Blackanvil says:

I wish that I could show some photos of the networking lab I used to work in. Hundreds of different routers, switches, NIDs, connected by thousands of wires, cables, and fibers when testing was going on. Sadly, “no cameras allowed,” and  I’d probably be breaking an NDA or something if I posted one.

• nixiebunny says:

As if anyone could gain a competitive advantage by looking at the photo.
      “Oh, they use *blue* CAT6 cables to connect the switches to the edge routers! We should try that!”