Read more in Music at Boing Boing

I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

15 Responses to “Hannah Peel covers OMD's "Electricity" on an antique music box”

1. Mutsuhiro Nishiwaki has made several albums covering various songs with a music box, including six albums for movie themes :

2. Touch Sensitive says:

Cory, a link through would have been nice. Had to root about to get a lossless link for the EP. Not everyone wants iTunes..

I picked it up from here:

Rebox – Hannah Peel (£2.99) (lossless .flac)

3. Jon Michaels says:

I’m not sure that she sampled the music box. If you look at this video, she’s definitely running a roll of paper through a music box. I’d say she programmed an early synthesizer.

4. oasisob1 says:

Is it possible to accurately cover any songs by the Cocteau Twins? I mean, as far as I know, they haven’t released the lyrics, and who has any real idea what they’re saying? It sounds like she did a nice job on all the songs though. And for real? Turning a tiny handcrank for 3+ minutes each to play those songs (and hole-punching hundreds of feet of paper to make it happen)? That earns her a paid download of the songs.

5. Jeffety says:

I like it, but I wish she’d discovered an old metronome as well.

6. mindysan33 says:

That made my morning!

7. Pea Hix says:

i assume she’s using one of these, mounted to an old mandolin or something. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8f7f/  i have mine mounted to an old ukulele. you can create a full-length piece by taping a bunch of the paper strips together. there’s even an iOS app to aid in creating music for the paper strips.

• brettburton says:

This is an incredibly misleading post.  I agree, she is probably using an off-the-shelf paper programmable “music box”.  This is a clear case of PICS OR IT DIDN’T HAPPEN.

8. incipientmadness says:

The way it was meant to be played.

9. RickKleffel says:

I believe that she is currently touring in the UK with John Foxx + The Maths and OMD…what a great lineup.  She has another album, and a new single, not music box, but lovely nonetheless.

10. Poio Kjunesc says:

I love it because it’s imperfect, it has a wabi-sabi vulnerability that’s charming in a world of over-production. It lays the song bare and sounds human and soothing!

11. DocPop says:

But there’s no link. I’d rather not go to iTunes, but I’m getting tired of trying to find this somewhere else. Bandcamp was the first place I looked, but her Bandcamp hasn’t been used since 2011 (for only one track).

12. sour60 says:

well, I know I’m not the first to say it, but this just won’t do. You have a link to itunes, and we all know that clicking that link causes the death of a baby…AN ETHNIC BABY! Also, last time I checked, music boxes cause cancer or something, and loss-less FLAC files are the only way to hear music and whatnot.