Real Stuff: Dennis the Sullen Menace

"A few years ago I got busted for dealing acid and marijuana. The judge gave me three years in the Idaho State Penitentiary." From Real Stuff #1 (Fantagraphics, December 1990).

Read about this project and listen to Mark's interview with Dennis Eichhorn here.

Published 3:53 pm Mon, May 6, 2013

About the Author

Dennis P. Eichhorn is an award-winning American writer best known for his adult-oriented autobiographical comic book series Real Stuff.

More at Boing Boing

How WARPO makes the most bitchingest toys of forever

This episode of Gweek is brought to you by Bombfell, the glorious clothing service for men that sends handpicked outfits to your door. Go to bombfell.com/gweek to get $10 off your first purchase. And by Stamps.com -- get a $110 sign-up bonus with the offer code GWEEK!

The Graffiti Rock TV Pilot

Part 1 of a strip detailing the infamous dance television show that never became a series. The latest from Ed Piskor's Hip Hop Family Tree.

15 Responses to “Real Stuff: Dennis the Sullen Menace”

1. Stefan Jones says:

YOIKS! That one wasn’t in the Real Stuff collection I bought a few years back.

2. oasisob1 says:

I’m 100% sure that I would not buy meat from that slaughterhouse. Or eat at any restaurant within 1,000 miles of it.

3. silkox says:

That’s quite a story. In Cold Blood freaked me out for years, and that was just the book.

4. Jake0748 says:

Good comic, graphic novella, whatever you’re supposed to call it.  Just makes me sad about how after 2, 5, 10 thousand years of “civilization”, this is how far we’ve come.  Let’s just continue to rape and fuck and torture those who are weaker than us.  Good plan.

• Tore Sinding Bekkedal says:

Don’t let the US penitentiary system, probably one of the most despicable organized systems in the world, define “civilization”.

5. mindfu says:

Jesus Christ that was chilling.

Well done.

6. Poio Kjunesc says:

Excellent read. The expression on the Pocatello guy’s  face is haunting, and the killers rooting for the bad guys is glum but hilarious.

7. Humbabella says:

Reading this I was constantly “cheating,” relying on my knowledge that the narrator survives to feel better about what I was reading.

8. Tim H says:

“In the Belly of the Beast” by Jack Abbott completely redefined my idea of what prison life could be.  It’s so much more horrific than anything  I could imagine.

This comic is fantastic, makes me want to reread “My Life with Dahmer”.

9. MrJM says:

Old Fred has a promising future as a political candidate for either party.

10. RedShirt77 says:

All that for weed and Acid.  what a fucked up system.

• Cocomaan says:

this guy basically goes straight to hell on earth for supplying people with things that they take to have fun.

11. microdot says:

I really liked Dennis’ work and actually bought this in print form many years ago from the comix store on St Marks Place….I still have it in a box. I reread it here and found it quote inspirational…thanks.

12. Halloween_Jack says:

A great story; I think that Eichhorn and Michael Dougan made a great team. (There was one other Eichhorn story that I remember, which involved the attorney that I think he worked for.) I wonder what happened to Dougan? He seems to have completely disappeared from the comics scene.