[Guatemala City] -- Above: Elena Caba Ijom of Nebaj, El Quiché, Guatemala, reads news about the trial as all of us in the courtroom here await a verdict in the genocide trial of Rios Montt and Mauricio Rodriguez Sanchez.
The judges are expected to announce their decision at 4pm local time, despite new calls for annulment from a lower court.
Ms. Caba Ijom told this reporter she was 8 years old when her entire family was killed by the Army in 1982. Soldiers then tied her hands and feet and threw her into a river, breaking her legs.
"I survived," she said.
There are well over a hundred Ixil here, many reporters from Guatemalan and foreign press, international observers, and supporters of co-defendants Ríos Montt and Rodriguez Sanchez.
The former US-backed dictator and his then-chief of intelligence are charged with genocide and crimes against humanity. Both men say they are innocent.
Above, Maria Sajiq (L) and Ana Laynez Herrera of Nebaj, Quiché, Guatemala (R). Ms. Sajiq was among the survivors Miles O'Brien and I interviewed in Nebaj recently, for a PBS NewsHour report.
FOLLOW THE TRIAL ONLINE:
You can also follow them and others on this Twitter list I made.
PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING
• Guatemala coverage archives
•1983 "MacNeil/Lehrer Report" on debate over military aid to Ríos Montt's regime
• 1982 MacNeil/Lehrer on reports Ríos Montt committed atrocities against Ixil Maya
• "I am innocent," Ríos Montt tells court in genocide trial, breaking silence
• Ríos Montt trial enters final phase, 75 years sought for genocide, crimes against humanity
• The science behind historic genocide trial of General Ríos Montt: PBS NewsHour video report
• Guatemalan Government declares State of Siege after Mining Protests: PBS NewsHour video report
• PBS NewsHour reporter's notebook: Guatemala—Why We Cannot Turn Away
Boing Boing editor/partner and tech culture journalist Xeni Jardin hosts and produces Boing Boing's in-flight TV channel on Virgin America airlines (#10 on the dial), and writes about living with breast cancer. Diagnosed in 2011. @xeni on Twitter. email: email@example.com.