E-Stonia: where the free internet now flows like water

16 Responses to “E-Stonia: where the free internet now flows like water”

1. er0ck says:

much more interesting and varied article than the headline might suggest!  I’m curious how Ms. Tesanovic finds the prospect of our “socialism” in the US, and other nations, and how they compare and contrast to the communism in the late USSR.

2. coldbrewski says:

I went to Estonia about a year and a half ago for the ski marathon in Tartu and had a great time. People were friendly and everything is super affordable. You can obviously tell it’s a very young country. I flew Estonian air from Amsterdam and had no issues at all. The only thing I noticed was that the bars in Tallinn can be a little sketchy depending upon where you go.

• JJSacks says:

“You can obviously tell it’s a very young country” Estonia is far from being a very young country, they were independent country that was  invaded by the Russians and subjugated by the USSR. They were an occupied country, always resistant. They were one of several countries that won their freedom with little to no violence.

3. Dave Shevett says:

A company I was working for is based in Estonia, and I got to spend a week there, both in the capital (Tallinn)  and down in Tartu.  I found Tartu much more low-key, less ‘westernized’, and all in all, pleasant as heck.  Estonia is a great example of what happens when a country does things without all the viciousness and pettyness so prevalent in western cultures.  They have had a long history of abuse and oppression.  Now with their independence, they’re focusing on the important things in life.  Family, peace, intellect, and cooperation.

• Gilbert Wham says:

It’s been recommended to me by a good friend who travels a lot. I’ma try and get there next year, when my finances are (hopefully) better.

4. JJSacks says:

I would say Estonian culture has probably been one of the things that kept them strong during the Soviet era, that and they are a stubborn and patient people. They kept traditions alive, sang in their own  language. I totally recommend the the documentary The Singing Revolution. It’s about the how Estonians used song/music as an instrument of civil disobedience.

As for Estonians’ distaste for Russians, I can remember my Great Grandmother (expat Estonian) and Grandmother (1st gen) both always saying –  “such nice people. but they’re Russian, you cant trust them,” even when they were talking about neighbors. Not sure if the Russians will win the trust of many Estonians ever.

• Girard says:

I haven’t lived in Estonia, but I did live for a while in another post-Soviet state (Czech Republic), and in Russia for a while (incidentally, apparently I speak Russian with an Estonian accent), and that ‘distaste’ seems pretty widespread. Czechs, when talking about Russians basically either regarded them as untrustworthy former despots or (more prevalent with Czech Rep. becoming an increasingly popular tourist/business destination for Russians) obnoxious, rich self-important blowhards on par with the most egregious of American tourists (and bearing a similar sense of patriotism and my-way-or-the-highway obliviousness).

On a visit to Karlovy Vary, I noticed that a multi-lingual sign posted, which read “ring bell for assistance” specified in its Russian sign “ring bell once for assistance.” Which gave me a chuckle, and kind of encapsulated the Czech expectations/mentality w/r/t Russian visitors.

In person, I have to say, I knew a lot of perfectly lovely Russians. But the country and culture certainly has its problems (and while it obviously perpetrated the crimes of the Soviet system, it was also a primary victim of those crimes and bears many of the institutional, structural, and cultural scars that Estonia is described as having in this write-up).

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Every comment in this thread that mentions the Russians has been flagged.  THANKS PUTIN!

5. My wife (Polish) and I (ex-pat US) have visited 18 countries in Europe including Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia… Not to mention extensive travels through Poland.

From my experience, Latvia’s roads are the worst. Some roads in Estonia are superb while others are mediocre (potholed, heavily patch worked, etc). However, the drivers are actually fairly respectful of things like speed limits and no-passing zones (unlike Poland).

6. Baldhead says:

Tallinn is near the top of my Favourite Cities List. Such a wondeful mix of historic and modern. Except in spring. Beautiful of course but there is at least one pollinating plant there that hates me above all others.

7. grahamix says:

I think you mean Latvia’s  ‘air Baltic’ rather than ‘Baltic Airlines’.

8. Vivian says:

Aitäh for the article, I’ll be printing it out for my less than tech-savvy, but still very patriotic grandma!
    If it helps and if you go back, whenever my folks go back over, they always try to take Finnair.

Also, if you’ve an interest in a pretty well done documentary on Estonia and soviet rule, check out ‘The Singing Revolution’.

9. Guys, whoever wants to discuss this, UR welcome: Skype: vlad-synoptic