Hellishly complex, gorgeous assemblage about endless work

"Quaestus" is the latest assemblage from sculptor Jud Turner. He sez,

“Quaestus” is a latin word meaning “gain or profit extracted from work”, a concept darkly represented in my latest sculpture: 5 tiny employees are trapped in an endless task inside a gigantic machine, toiling to keep up with the conveyor belts they are walking on. Each work station has a 2 digit counter which seems to be keeping some kind of score. If the employees don't keep up with the machine, they will fall off the ends of their conveyor belts and be fed to the machine.. The employees actually power this machine, but are unaware and unable to stop moving forward for fear of falling behind.

It's an amazing piece. Click through for hi-rez and details.

"Quaestus"

13 Responses to “Hellishly complex, gorgeous assemblage about endless work”

1. Jake0748 says:

It would be really cool, if it weren’t so depressing.

2. Tudza White II says:

I can’t tell from this or the site, do the parts of this piece move?

• Chentzilla says:

Look at those worker figures. Of course it doesn’t.

• Tudza White II says:

Indeed, the fact that there is nothing to catch them made me suspect that this thing sits there an looks cool with no moving parts.  You never know, so I checked with the artist.  He confirms that it is supposed to look cool but doesn’t actually move or anything.

3. Ted Hurley says:

The machine is rigged to pit the workers against each other.  They can’t stop for fear that the others will keep going and damn the slackers.  The only way out is for all of them to stop together, in union as it were…

4. ImmutableMichael says:

First thought – “Oh, it’s pre-teardown x-ray of a new laptop”.

Second thought after reading artist’s description – “Oh, I wish it was a pre-teardown x-ray if a new laptop.”

5. G3 says:

All it needs is a fake countdown timer.

6. plainsaman says:

With a nod to Chaplin’s Modern Times, I think.

7. novium says:

hey, look, it’s my last job. I’d send a link to one of the few remaining former cowrkers, but I suspect it wouldn’t much help their mental health.

8. Ian Brewer says:

This completely representative of my last job. Sadly, the irony of the artworld is that I could see this hanging on the CEO’s wall with him relishing it with glee while rubbing his hands together thinking about delivering value to his shareholders.