Record Eater: 1967 record player that ran in any orientation

23 Responses to “Record Eater: 1967 record player that ran in any orientation”

1. Stefan Jones says:

And battery powered, apparently!

I like how the ad kind of resembles a mod LP cover. “IRRADIETTE AND THE RECORD EATERS!”

When I was really little, there was a clamshell-design 45 single record player made for kids.  Advertised on TV.

• Jim Saul says:

My brother and sisters left one behind with a stack of 45s when they left for college and I was still a tween. I can’t think of that soft-snap bump-textured pale blue ABS plastic case without being swamped by sense memory of Bennie and the Jets.

• medontlivenoprahsworld says:

Ah yes, the close – n – play.
      I never had one, I assume the needles weren’t made of quality materials.

• Stefan Jones says:

That’s it, thanks!

A friend of my sister had one. I remember being a little disappointed how “empty” it was inside. (Or was that my Beanie & Cecil record player, which I got as a toddler and which I tore up when I was eight?)

• Ito Kagehisa says:

That certainly brought back some unexpected memories.  When I was a child all the girls would gather on somebody’s front stoop every day after school and dance to the latest Beatles 45 while the boys played “kick the can” in the street.  The red close’n’play was always there, although I don’t remember if my sister owned it or not.

2. The most fascinating device of my childhood!

3. Jim Saul says:

Too cool. A quick search doesn’t reveal any for sale, but they must still be out there – here are replacement needle cartridges:

4. tb says:

My babysitter’s boyfriend had one of these installed in his car.

5. I’m not sure I like the “eater” name. In the 1980s, I had a cheap cassette player that we called the “tape eater” because it often ruined the tape in the process.

6. xzzy says:

Slap a Sony logo on it and it’s a discman!

• Ian Wood says:

I pictured some mod dude with one of these on a pleather strap, fat headphones jacked in, a backpack full of 45s. Darrel was way ahead of his time.

7. Frank Diekman says:

The best part is the cartoon version in the upper left that is literally eating a record.

8. Jake0748 says:

Why did I first read the headline as, “Accordion Eater”?

9. mat says:

Yeah, I remember that. We called it the “mange-disques”.

10. I had one of these! Should still be at my parents home! :-)

11. Glen Able says:

I’m concerned that maybe this product comes from a gloomy land such as England.

Ohhh nvm, I just spotted the text at the top of the ad.

12. James Penrose says:

And it was enjoyed by aliens an the beach..check out the people in the lower right;  That standing girl’s navel is practically on her mons veneris.

13. pjcamp says:

Is it . . . upholstered? In Creamsicle orange, no less.