The happiest little plankton in the world

13 Responses to “The happiest little plankton in the world”

1. Christopher says:

I can’t help looking at those happy little felt plankton and hearing a throaty voice say, “The Krusty Krab formula is mine! ALL MINE! HAHAHAHAH!!!”

2. Preston Sturges says:

Is fresh water still plankton? IRL, is it one eye or two?

• Preston Sturges says:

One compound and one simple eye.

“……Daphnia tend to be almost kidney shaped, possessing only a single compound eye (though they have an ocellus, a simple eye)….”

I don’t think they have enough band width to process depth perception information from two eyes, they just need to swim towards the light where they can find alga, euglenoids, and chlamydomonas.   Which would be a wise move for a multicellular animal like this because it would also be avoiding anoxic zones.

• Gulliver says:

Fascinating! I had no idea there were animals with one of each. Cool.

• Preston Sturges says:

The other common animal in this size class is the more shrimp like  Cyclops, often seen dragging around two clutches of eggs. Under the microscope, we usually see Daphnia from the side and Cyclops from above, so it’s clear Cyclops has only one eye.

Some bacteria have rhodopsin and flagella and move vapidly towards light despite having no eye.    Insects have that pigment in a compound eye while we have it our retina, which evolved independently. Molluscs also have retinas but the structure is different, so it looks like the  eye evolved three times.

• Christopher says:

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Floating or drifting organisms, esp. very small
      ones, found at various depths in the ocean and fresh water, comprising
      chiefly diatoms, protozoans, small crustaceans, and the eggs and larval
      stages of larger animals.

I’m glad you asked, though, because I hadn’t even thought about it. And at one time I had a small tank of daphnia that I used to feed to my aquatic and semi-aquatic carnivorous plants (utricularia). I never thought to call them plankton at the time, but now I’m glad to know it would have been fine to do so.

• Plankton is a general term; many different organisms are called “plankton”. In the case of Plankton from Spongebob, presumably he is actually a Copepod, and they do have only a single eye (if they they have one at all, as some are eyeless).

3. acerplatanoides says:

jazz hands!

4. Beanolini says:

microscopic crustaceans called Daphnia

They’re not really microscopic- even newborn ones can be seen with the naked eye.

I’ve never got one drunk, but I did intoxicate them with detergents as part of my PhD. Does that make me a bad person?

By the way, ‘plankter’ is the singular of ‘plankton’.

5. Sparg says:

Now they just have to pretty up the dust mite with felt.