Denial-of-Service attacker tells Brian Krebs he's working for the FBI

8 Responses to “Denial-of-Service attacker tells Brian Krebs he's working for the FBI”

1. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

I certainly wouldn’t put it past a slimy DDoS merc to be lying; but that also seems like the sort of arrangement that the FBI would find very convenient indeed.

We know *cough* Whitey Bulger*cough* that our friendly feds have been… flexible… in the past about the behavioral standards of their collaborators. In the case of a DDoS, which is potentially costly and disruptive; but produces no media splash or victims likely to get long-term play, I’d imagine that ignoring the operator in exchange for a steady stream of dumb opportunists filing into his office to commit interstate felonies under your watchful gaze would be pretty attractive.

2. timquinn says:

And can I tell people I work for the FBI?

” . . . sure kid, sure . . . “

• DevinC says:

Apparently he’s willing to tell random strangers who his clients are.  In a sensitive business, that doesn’t exactly scream ‘consummate professional.’

3. conflator says:

Totally Monday night quarterbacking, but it would have been awful funny if, when the kid realized he wasn’t off-record, Mr. Reporter put the screws to him. “Y’know, it would be pretty rough on your business if people knew the FBI was monitering [sic] their activitys [sic] . Let’s talk.”

Honestly, I just wanted more squirming.

• fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

Unfortunately, the ‘kid’ has “Primal Rage” tattooed on his back in the Transformers font… I suspect that he isn’t… entirely… well calibrated in his sense of consequences.

• conflator says:

Too true. I also appreciated this bit:

“Poland admitted in one of our Facebook chats that his own site was recently breached, leading to the leak of ragerbooter’s user database; the attackers broke into his Skype account, and then rifled through his Skype chats until they found login credentials to his servers.”

I did some poking around for a client that had been hit with one of these 13347 DDoS attacks. I would actually consider it a professional courtesy if just once one of them showed evidence of an active brain cell.

4. JonS says:

What does Schneier have to say about this?

5. Cowicide says:

the FBI has its own login to his site, and review all the IP addresses and other traffic data it logs.