World's tiniest monkey eats a noodle

About this video, which shows a Pygmy Marmoset noshing on a macaroni, Meredith Yayanos says: "The tinier the primate, the deeper the Uncanny Valley." I don't know anything about the conditions under which this video was shot, but obviously monkeys belong in their natural habitat, not in someone's home eating macaroni. Still, wow: how amazing and adorable the creature is.

29 Responses to “World's tiniest monkey eats a noodle”

1. Neural Kernel says:

Little guy wouldn’t touch his poutine, best we could do on short notice, eh?

2. Jardine says:

Is that the monkey making that high-pitched sound? Because wow that’s an annoying sound. Still fucking cute though.

3. Andy Kerr says:

Given the pygmy marmoset’s geographic range (northwestern South America) and the time I’ve spent in that region, I’m going to guess that this little guy isn’t more than about 50 feet from his native habitat. And I’m also guessing that he was invited, rather than captured. The bars on those open windows (hear the traffic?) wouldn’t stand a chance of keeping him out.

4. euansmith says:

Fuzzy Sapiens.

5. Hardley says:

Surely it must be a Macarono

6. Matt McKinney says:

“I don’t know anything about the conditions under which this video was shot, but obviously monkeys belong in their natural habitat, not in someone’s home eating macaroni.”

Meaning, I don’t know anything about this, but I’m still going to judge and tell these people, who I don’t know, what they should do.

Jesus, tough room.

• Martin Watson says:

I had the same reaction initially, but I think Xeni’s point wasn’t to judge the people with the monkey in the video, but to remind people watching that just because they find monkeys cute they shouldn’t want to own one as a pet.

7. Uncle Bell says:

Actually, the pygmy marmoset’s natural habitat is a pasta rain forest.  So it’s not unusual for them to eat macaroni, though they prefer penne if they can find it.

• CitizenEgg says:

I believe this fellow’s from a tribe that migrated to Switzerland, home of the annual Spaghetti harvest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ugSKW4-QQ

8. That’s not the world’s smallest monkey, that’s the world’s largest macaroni noodle…

9. FrankenPC . says:

It’s OK to feed it macaroni as long as it’s not after midnight.

10. Joel Emmett says:

“Because monkeys.”

11. Petzl says:

After all the 200-lb, face-ripping, xanax-chomping, diaper-wearing chimpanzees we’ve seen (well, ok, one, but one is too many), this is a refreshing counterexample.

12. peregrinus says:

He’s so cute.  Munchin’, checkin’ around, thinkin’ “I hope those big monkeys don’t notice I stole their most valuable treasure”

13. Doran says:

My two cats would very much like me to get a Pygmy Marmoset.

14. planettom says:

In fairness, the owner of the house, the one providing the noodle:    That house isn’t really their nature habitat either!

• JarFil says:

Are you sure? It seems to me that Homo Sapiens Sapiens, when left to themselves, tend to build world-spanning space-faring civilizations full of little boxes in which they like to live.

15. Cary Allen says:

…but let’s perpetuate cuteness videos of monkeys in domestic situations, driving more demand for pet monkeys. Fuck the monkeys, they exist for our amusement. Because humans.

• Good luck with your anti-cute-animal-videos-on-the-internet crusade.  It sounds like a surefire winner.

• Cary Allen says:

It’s just disappointing to see someone that I generally associate with intelligence and integrity jump onto the bandwagon and pass something like this along with a very weak caveat. I don’t expect that Xeni would post on how cool captive whale shows are, because while also carrying a good Awwww… factor, they are cruel and tied to exploitative harvesting practices. Just like the Pygmy Marmoset trade.

16. bobcorrigan says:

The wee little Callithrix pygmaea actually live in cannelloni.

17. Gloo says:

As far as I know, human beings too should be classified as one of the most endangered species.

18. Boundegar says:

That’s no noodle…  it’s a space station!

19. Jamox Esox says:

“I don’t know anything about the conditions under which this video was shot but i sure do like to make assumptions” this monkey could have jumped through a window for all we know. Food animals belong in their natural habitats as well but not many people seem to care