In defense of the selfie

18 Responses to “In defense of the selfie”

1. RadioSilence says:

And people have been doing it a lot longer than cameraphones have been around, too.

2. Jim Saul says:

Why is it that so many taken are in cars? Is it that someone has time on their hands while waiting and happens to notice in the sun-shade mirrors that they have particularly nice lighting at the moment?

• Jonathan Roberts says:

I was wondering the same about the bathroom selfies. Is there literally no other mirror in your house?

3. liquidstar says:

I actually don’t get the generalized hate for the Selfie -  it is strange.  Criticising particular elements ok, but all of them a priori?

4. Lithi says:

It’s one thing to take selfies, did that when I was a kid. However, when one tries to demonstrate their coolness and badassery or even worse, make a meme out of it and whores it, no.

5. Ron Bowes says:

TIL that a lot of people don’t like selfies.

6. stygianguest says:

Unfamiliar with the term, I first assumed “a selfie” referred to masturbation and wondered who would put that on facebook. Oh well.

• Ambiguity says:

Not a term I’m familiar with either.

Sometimes I feel that I don’t spend nearly enough time making sure I’ve got my finger on the pulse of what’s culturally relevant for each 15 minute period.

But mostly not.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I first assumed “a selfie” referred to masturbation

Only if you do it in your onesie.

7. Daemonworks says:

I just hate the word “selfie”, I could care less about folks taking pictures of themselves.

8. selfie says:

I don’t understand the hate ? Learning to figure out how to block someone on your feed has to be easier. I like the self expression the silliness that’s captured. It’s about capturing the moment. You can browse interesting selfies at http://selfie.com enjoy!

9. Payne Hertz says:

That pic looks like a selfie of Chucky when he was younger :)