Privacy, public health and the moral hazard of surveillance

19 Responses to “Privacy, public health and the moral hazard of surveillance”

1. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

I believe that the preferred term for ‘moral hazard’ is now ‘public/private partnership’…

2. SedanChair says:

I can’t keep up. I freely admit I can’t keep up. Every once in a while I can follow the news for a whole day, reading secrecy blogs until my eyes bleed. But the moment I get up to take a shit, when I come back every congress and parliament in the world has simultaneously proposed CISPA, SOPA, PIPA, OPRAH, SUPRA, PANTHRO, JETHRO, AFRO and like forty other laws that want to put a camera inside my butthole and charge me a fee for not liking it.

I

CANNOT

KEEP

UP

3. “Oversharing” is certainly not a public health problem. If people shared all their health info, public health (and science in general) would greatly benefit.

• Gilbert Wham says:

People wouldn’t though.

• Sure they would — that’s kind of the whole point of doing biomedical science.

• austinhamman says:

well said
        there are are lot’s of ways to statistically improve life, if you kill all the sick, your country will have no disease, if you kill the homeless you will have no homeless people if you put everyone in full body restraints and feed them intravenously you will have no crime.

it’s all about what you gain to what you lose, not just statistical improvements.

4. lsamsa says:

So very sorry to interrupt on this thread…but without a contact…I had to pick a spot to communicate.
    Boing Boing…what is up with the sudden change to such a small font? My word, some of us are older & this smaller print really poses a problem.
    We may be older, but we’re still interested & engaged.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

It looks normal to me,  but I’ve had a lot of problems with styles lately.  I keep getting pages in all bold, but I refresh and it goes back to normal.  Can you post a screenshot if refreshing doesn’t fix it?

5. Yepi Didi says:

thanks alot for this note. :D

6. epublicitypr.com® says:

Thanks for Sharing This Article!

Want more Pop Culture? Log onto http://WWW.POPCULTUREZ.COM!
    Need to start your PR campaign; try PUBLICITY SOFTWARE at http://WWW.EPUBLICITYPR.COM!

7. miasm says:

I don’t know what you’re complaining about.
    With the establishment of standardised metrics for the measurement of performance, no manager who abides by the numbers can ever again be proven to have made a wrong decision.
    Habituation to making decisions based on such a valuable surfeit of information will surely never lead to manipulation of the interpretation of the data to reflect performance gains!

A system, in bed with the enemy, gathering data through its clandestine partnerships for use in manipulation of those under it’s auspices.
    A system which is structured to then do it’s best to completely ignore the true implications of that data and to manipulate it beyond recognition, forcing a fit with falsely emergent performance metrics for the purpose of proving efficiency.

Someone is forthrightly ticking the ‘Everything is OK’ box and everything is not OK.