Iain Banks doesn't write sf for the money

20 Responses to “Iain Banks doesn't write sf for the money”

1. Just_Ok says:

he only comments when someone is wrong. No wonder he’s so prolific.

• jovyxafeseda says:

мy clαѕѕмαтe’ѕ αυɴт мαĸeѕ $8З нoυrly oɴ тнe coмpυтer. ѕнe нαѕ вeeɴ wιтнoυт worĸ ғor ѕeveɴ мoɴтнѕ вυт lαѕт мoɴтн нer pαy wαѕ $15882 jυѕт worĸιɴɢ oɴ тнe coмpυтer ғor α ғew нoυrѕ. reαd мore oɴ тнιѕ weв ѕιтe Zap2­2­.c­o&shym&shy

• You’re wrong!

(Waits for inspiration to strike.)

2. Boundegar says:

It’s also obviously the comment of somebody who’s never actually read those “trashy” novels. I’m only sorry to hear the Culture novels didn’t make him rich. I bought my share!

3. You’re all just jealous of my GSV.

• Lemoutan says:

Yeah, but what’s it called?

Oh, wait … what you said would do quite nicely.

• Fnordius says:

I am reminded of the scene in Surface Detail where the rich bastard asks the Culture ambassador what it would cost to buy a Culture ship. Like her, I find the question extremely amusing.

4. rocketpj says:

Well, I’ve bought every novel he’s published (that I’ve been able to find anyways, there may be some out of print or something).  His SF is really superb, the mainstream stuff is sometimes sublime, other times not at all.

5. Purplecat says:

I don’t know how anyone could have come to that sort of conclusion. The Crow Road and The Wasp Factory were massive hits (in my part of the world, anyway) while the Culture novels didn’t make such a splash.

6. euansmith says:

Isn’t “Main Stream” a genre?

7. NelC says:

SF rarely sells enough to pay the bills. There’s only a few SF writers who are successful enough to do it full time. Iain {M} Banks isn’t one of them; he’s only a part-timer ;)

8. Charlie Stross says:

In general, SF and Fantasy account for around 7% of the sales of all fiction. (Of the two, Fantasy outsells SF 2:1.) Crime, Mainstream, Historical, and Mens’ Adventure/technothrillers each sell on the order of 10% (plus or minus a bit). The biggest share by far goes to Romance — which accounts for around 50% of all fiction book sales. The Romance/SF subgenre alone outsells the SF genre itself.

Around 40% of all royalty payments in SF/F go to: Terry Pratchett, George R. R. Martin, and the J. R. R. Tolkien estate.

The rest of us who write SF/F don’t exactly do so in the hope of striking it rich — if that was our goal we’d have better luck training as chartered accountants!

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Jo Rowling?

9. Lemoutan says:

Why’re they still called Royalties anyway?

Republickies? Citizenries? Populacies? Commonies? …