I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

26 Responses to “Open source hardware 3D printer for pizza-on-demand”

1. Brainspore says:

Mmm, just like momma used to fabricate.

2. Selune says:

If you have the “Food and Flavor Powders” readily available, surely there are easier ways to get them into a human-consumable state than with a 3D printer. While this technology is certainly interesting, I don’t understand how it’s supposed to “solve world hunger”.

• King_Rocket says:

That’s where the soylent green comes in to play.

• Leo says:

I’m confused by that too. Are we gonna ship powdered foods and 3D printers, instead of real food? Seems reasonable.
      Also, that was just a video of a machine smearing nutella on a cracker. Unimpressed.

• Brainspore says:

While this technology is certainly interesting, I don’t understand how it’s supposed to “solve world hunger”. Could someone enlighten me?

That does seem like a rather bold statement. My impression was that the problem faced by starving masses in famine-stricken areas was the lack of raw foodstuffs, not an inability to prepare them. Perhaps this machine just uses less energy to prepare an edible meal than a human counterpart would?

• Robert Drop says:

There’s no enlightenment to be had, I’m afraid.  The statement “food-printing could solve world hunger” is so nonsensical that it’s not even worth thinking about.

3. nixiebunny says:

Is it April 1 again?

4. jkonrath says:

This is asinine.  The power consumption of 3D printing versus using a simple extrusion machine or just plain squirting your mixed protein powder onto a baking sheet and pounding and pouring your pizza the old fashioned way makes this nothing but a quick way to grab grant money by riding the 3D printing meme.  And it’s all great when you’re running the thing in a lab where power sources are cheap and plentiful, which they aren’t in space or a third-world country.

5. For a while, I wanted to construct a machine that would emit a continuous stream of pizza in a strip – through an oven and all. It could be cut into a zig-zag pattern to replicate the triangular slices we’re all used to. Alas, I am not sitting on a pile of funding, so this and other projects (jet-engine electric organ) are on hold.

6. gholtby says:

Bad pizza made inefficiently? I’m not even seeing the first-world appeal, and the idea that it would do anything to address famine is asinine. The problem is crop failures mostly due to weather and a lack of funds / infrastructure to bring in emergency food, not the inability to turn available food matter into pizza.  This kind of vapid article is why people make fun of 3D printing (which is actually an interesting technology with lots of cool potential) and refuse to take it seriously.

• Robert Drop says:

It’s been argued that the biggest cause of starvation is economic.  Which makes this whole thing extra stupid.
      The big promise of 3D printers and food is in the creation of novel combinations of foodstuffs that can’t be done with conventional preparation techniques, but it’s completely a first-world product (if it were even delivering on that promise, which this isn’t).

7. fnc says:

The obvious potential here is that it could 3d print a waffle and then ensure a consistently sized dollop of syrup is placed directly in the center of each square of the waffle, finally marking an end to the drudgery of putting syrup on waffles for OCD people.

8. bolamig says:

Pizza has been the perfect accompaniment to geekery for decades, but I see 3d printing spelling the end of the era where I like eating pizza.

9. Rick Adams says:

Instantly transforming Domino’s into a gourmet restaurant in one step.

10. anon0mouse says:

Old Marty: “Boy, oh boy, mom, you sure can print out a pizza.”

11. Spieguh says:

Is there a Kickstarter for this Heechee pizza printer yet? Mmmm CHON

12. Shane Noir says:

BoingBoing, you know what comes next: a 3D Printed Pizza Gun (that fires live ammunition!)

13. Jorge Velasquez says:

Sounds like a Star Trek food replicator in embryonic stage.  ”Tea, Earl Grey.  Hot.”

This technology will solve a lot of the world’s problems, as soon as they get around the conservation of mass and energy issues.

14. Joe Larson says:

Soylent Green? Do you mean Rob Rhinehart’s soylent.. stuff? Because soylent green is from science fiction and was made from human cadavers. I don’t think this project is recycling humans.

• Jer_00 says:

relatively abundant, sustainable foodstocks like insects and soylent green.

That’s a joke, son.  Abundant foodstocks, overpopulation, soylent green.  Makes you want to gag. Joke that is.  /foghornleghorn