Vermont passes anti-patent-troll law

9 Responses to “Vermont passes anti-patent-troll law”

1. awjt says:

It may not stand, but at least states are starting to perk up and address the issue.

2. Rhyolite says:

I am glad to see someone going on the offensive against patent and copyright trolls but I would really prefer to see this happen at the federal level.

3. Phoc Yu says:

This is the same state that with a left- to very-far-left-leaning supermajority couldn’t pass GMO labeling or campaign finance limits because they were afraid of the possible lawsuits challenging constitutionality.  “Let someone else do it first” seemed to be their rallying cry.   I’m starting to worry they’re really going to screw up the single-payer health care implementation with the same tentativeness too.

That said, be it a blatant patent troll or Chick Fil-A or Monster energy drinks, don’t fuck with our VT companies.

• awjt says:

VT will figure itself out, I’m sure.  Tentative isn’t the word I’d describe the legislature.  More like “over-deliberative.”  They take everything to the nth degree and hardly anything ever gets done.  I’m surprised this one even made it through.

4. crushedbyadwarf says:

They’re a state with a population of 600,000 and so have to be very careful of the fights they choose, suits have a great effect on their budget. They also have had some bad experiences in the past ie 1995-1996 rBST milk labeling.

5. arbitraryaardvark says:

i’ve been fighting a losing battle over using the term ‘law’ in articles about whether a statute is constitutional. Marbury v Madison teaches that unconstitutional statutes are not law.

6. flask ehrlenmeyer says:

why, yes. vermont IS awesome. i invite you to compare its legislature to that of, say kentucky or indiana.

on the other hand, it’s memorial day weekend and it’s snowing.