Actor Tim Curry suffered a stroke last night, but the 67-year-old is "doing great" and already recovering at home, according to reports. Get well soon, Tim!

Rocky Horror Muppet Show
Rocky Horror costumes
LOLCats meet Rocky Horror

34 Responses to “Tim Curry "recovering after major stroke"”

1. oasisob1 says:

[Placeholder for witty and appropriate quote from Rocky Horror Picture Show.]

2. Get well, Pennywise

3. Christopher says:

While The Rocky Horror Picture Show is always the first thing that comes to mind whenever Tim Curry is mentioned there’s also a close second: a duet version of “It’s Lonely At The Top” he did with Tracy Ullman. Curry plays a rock star who’s giving away everything he owns in order to write the first truly honest song of his career. It was brilliant and poignant, and still chokes me up a little.

Surprisingly I can only find one, truncated version of it.

• oasisob1 says:

Really? I always think of Clue first, so that thinking of RHPS can be a relief.

• Christopher says:

Would you believe the first time I saw Clue, having seen RHPS only once, sat through the entire movie without ever once realizing the butler was Dr. Frank N. Furter?

I would also go on to become a huge RHPS fan. I understand I’m not alone in that either. I’ve even heard it said that Curry’s wife says, “That movie is the reason we have so many kids.”

• oasisob1 says:

I have to rate the absolute worst showing of that RHPS as the one I saw on the fantail of the USS Curtis Wilbur one night out in the middle of the Pacific Ocian. One guy up front was shouting the lines the whole time, and everyone else seemed confused and possibly a little threatened. I sat quietly off to one side just taking it all in, and it was really the first time I realized how horrible/awesome the movie is when left to itself.

• Christopher says:

The first time I ever saw RHPS was at a science fiction/gaming convention. They had a “video room” with movies playing through most of the day and most of the night. Even that was probably a violation of copyright, but the owner of the video room also had a bootleg videotape of RHPS five years before the official video release.

That’s how I saw it the first time. I found the movie oddly appealing, although mainly because of the music. But I alternated between laughing at the guy behind me, who kept yelling these crazy lines that often fit with the movie and wishing he’d shut up.

Then I saw it a a midnight screening at the movie theater, and fully understood that the appeal isn’t the movie itself–it’s the audience that makes it.

A few years after that I would understand the audience’s value even more when I saw a production of the stage play. Not only did the criminologist interact with the audience–which earned him the loudest cheers at the curtain call–but the actor playing Frank nearly lost it when he sang, “Don’t dream it…” and an audience member yelled, “FUCK IT!”

• Jim Saul says:

I always think of him saying “We are all animals, my lady.”

4. Antinous / Moderator says:

My friend who works as a minder at the film festival rates him as the nicest star whom he’s ever minded.

5. jlargentaye says:

To compensate, here’s a collection of Tim Curry laughs

6. jimkirk says:

Don’t forget the Zucchini Song…

Hoping for a full recovery.

7. V says:

So, if clapping healed Tinkerbell when she got poisoned, does that mean doing the Time Warp will heal Tim Curry?

8. Reverend Loki says:

So, are all three of the links above going to the same place, or is it just me?

9. Jim Saul says:

I hope he recovers fully, and soon, and that his convalescence is spent swaddled in the most opulent robe imaginable.

10. bardfinn says:

The bees finally caught up with him. ):

11. welcomeabored says:

What’s the definition of a ‘major’ stroke?

When my neighbor had a stroke on New Years; her symptoms included slurring her words and dropping things.  When she started dropping full glasses of water, her husband knew something was wrong and took her to the emergency room.  When I asked her what she thought had been happening to her, she said she just thought she was getting old.  So, pre-stroke symptoms can look pretty innocuous to the person it’s happening to. I’m not sure I would have thought much of slurring or dropping things either.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Some strokes are asymptomatic. Some have symptoms that clear up fairly quickly. Some cause permanent deficits.

• welcomeabored says:

I recall that Mr. Curry is a heavy smoker.  I associate blocked arteries with cigarette smokers.  The neighbor mentioned had 90 percent blockage and had been diagnosed with COPD many years ago.  I would think looking for blocked arteries would be part of routine screening in aging smokers… but this is not the health care world we live in.

12. billstewart says:

If you have older friends or relatives or are around old people much, you need to know the FAST test for stroke – if somebody’s acting disoriented or odd.
    - Face: ask them to smile – do both sides of their face work?
    - Arms: can they lift both arms up and hold them?
    - Speech: is their speech normal or really slurred?
    - Time: if they fail one of the tests, it’s time to call 911 (or 999 or 112 depending on your country), because anti-stroke drugs need to be given within a few hours of a stroke.

Obviously there can be false positives (speech could be slurred because they’re drunk or hypothermic, or they could have a shoulder injury that’s keeping them from raising an arm, etc.), and you can get strokes that don’t cause any of those symptoms, but the test covers the common symptoms.

13. Fun Fact:  May is Stroke Awareness Month!  I became brutally aware on May 4th, when I had my own little stroke experience.  Must be something in the air …

14. I’ve had the opportunity to interact with Tim Curry on multiple occasions over an extended period of time and he was never anything but warm, friendly and genuine. Here’s hoping this is just a warning shot over the bow and fate is saving the real deal for someone more deserving.

15. JhmL says:

Get well soon, Doc.

16. miasm says:

Tim Curry, you beast!  Get well soon.

17. Tavie says:

SO BABIES, DON’T YOU PANIC.

18. Nancy J Gill says:

Arthur, King of the Britons? Nigel Thornberry? Rooster Hannigan? A man 5 weeks older than me? Glad to hear he is recovering well from an event that is now being reported as having occurred in July 2012.