I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

30 Responses to “Simpsons land coming to Universal Studios Florida”

1. G3 says:

Lenny: “Hey, it’s Duff man! A guy in a costume that creates awareness of Duff!”

2. Art says:

Funny!  :)

3. No Simpsons house? Are they crazy? I’d like to see a straight up life-sized version of their house, street and everything else. Some nice forced perspective nuclear power towers in the distance. A monorail that gets you to the area. I love fake things that pretend to be real. That’s why I love Disney World.

Also, does Matt Groening actually draw this stuff, or does he have some sort of contractual thing where his signature goes on every illustration of his characters?

• ldobe says:

He developed the story and classic characters early on. He’s more of a producer now.
      And the vast majority of Simpsons images are cartoonized renderings of 3d models, animated by South Koreans.

• hypnosifl says:

3D models? They always look like they’re drawn from just a few specific perspectives…where did you hear that?

• ldobe says:

Director’s Commentary on the Simpsons movie. Perhaps they just did that in 3d.
          Although once the models are made it’s cheaper to animate than cels, much less labor is involved.

• PhasmaFelis says:

They’re pretty obviously cel-animated, not outlined-and-cel-shaded 3D. Of course “cel-animated” these days means Photoshop or whatever rather than actual cels, but yeah, no, you can clearly see the limited-animation techniques. Maybe they did that in the movie, or for brief action-y bits in the TV series like Futurama does.

• ldobe says:

I see. I suppose I’ll have to re-eatch a bunch of dtuff just to confirm your claim.
          But I’m not so invested in my own claims to contradict you (outside of the movie) I’m willing to take on faith that you’re right (for the time being.) although I’m sure that the show currently is either 3D or a hybrid of 3D and cels.
          I’ll be watching for that. And rest assured, I’ll be here to correct you as politely as I know how, or concede your observation as elegantly as I can.

• PhasmaFelis says:

Feh. I know it’s not that big a deal. I’m just tired and cranky. It seems unlikely that they’d use 100% 3D for a show like Simpsons, but I’m sure they evolve their tools regularly. Who knows.

• ldobe says:

I agree they wouldn’t use 3D all of the time. Just most of the time, as long as it’s cheaper. That’s the real driving force isn’t it?

4. capnmarrrrk says:

They could have The Seven Duffs walking around.

“Hey, Surly only looks out for one guy … Surly!”

5. wolfman_al2 says:

What really baffles me is that anybody had this idea before in tha last quatercentury! I mean “Simpsonland”! Thats idea just prints money!

6. 10xor01 says:

This is life changing news.  I’m relocating and applying for my dream job: Surly Duff.

7. Jardine says:

two new Simpsons characters who will make their debut with the new area – Krusty the Clown and Sideshow Bob

Ugh, I hate it when theme parks just make up new characters that were never in the source material. Who the fuck are Kusty the Clown and Slideshow Bub?

• Andrew Singleton says:

I dunno some kinda cheap ripoffs of Bozo the Clown and Fraiser going by the stuff I’d seen.

Figures. They finally get the big time and completely sell out.

Also there’s no simpson’s house.

Worst. Themepark. Ever.

8. guest says:

It needs a monorail and an unfinished rollercoaster.

9. Nadreck says:

If you go, be sure to avoid the use of flash photography in Itchy & Scratchy Land!

10. LogrusZed says:

If it’s just an addition to the park and unless they are removing something pretty big then with all the food vendors they refer to in the article this will mostly be a themed food court.

11. Lothario Escobar says:

“Hey Lisa, I dare you to drink the water.”

12. PhasmaFelis says:

There are probably hundreds of thousands of people who think of themselves as Simpsons fans, have watched hundreds of episodes, and yet have so abjectly missed the point of the series that they actually think of Springfield as a place you would want to visit.

This thing is gonna be a huge success, and that makes me very sad for humanity.

13. Itsumishi says:

I’m not leaving the Frying Dutchman until I’ve had all I can eat damnit!

14. joe k. says:

I haven’t watched the Simpsons in years so I might be missing the appeal of such a thing. We did the Simpson’s ride thing at Universal Hollywood, and it was fun, and even the Kwik-E-Mart had a lot of cool stuff in it, but at the end of the day it registered barely a blip.

15. hank scorpio says:

I won’t go if there’s no “Unnecessary Surgery Land”.