Guy on hood of moving pickup begs passing drivers to call the police

29 Responses to “Guy on hood of moving pickup begs passing drivers to call the police”

1. Christopher says:

From the article: “No one was charged over the incident.”

I don’t know whether to be upset or relieved by that.

2. Protip: If you add the file http://boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/snowcrash.gif  to your block list, videos on BoingBoing will display as normal, without that distracting faux static effect.

3. mensan98th says:

Ah, Baton Rouge. You never fail to disappoint.

4. SedanChair says:

I wouldn’t call that “begging”

5. spocko says:

The reason I submitted this is because 1) It just cracked me up, how calm he was 2) The strange backstory about the guy going around grabbing signs.
    3) How calm the WOMAN was. Like she sees stuff like this all the time! Baton Rouge must be a hell of a drug.

6. bolamig says:

I wonder whose side Rob Cockerham would be on?  He seems like he’s an enemy of lawn signs, but would be pretty impressed by hood jumping.

• royaltrux says:

I think it is beyond yard signs, it’s guerrilla advertising signs on public property. I hate those things!

• oasisob1 says:

Rob’s more likely to be posting signs than taking them, but I can totally see him on the hood of a truck riding around town begging for help, keeping track of how many 911 calls get made.

7. bolamig says:

I think I’m with lawn-sign-stealer-guy.  I’ve spent way too much time trying to get real estate agents to take back their signs that their time is too valuable to attend to.  They are inevitably up on public property or private without permission.  But he should learn the law if he’s going to make a habit of doing this.

8. Warren_Terra says:

The sign guy sounds like an interesting story, in the way that essentially harmless people with manias often are.

As to the people bringing up signs on public property: yes, they’re unsightly, and often illegal (including apparently in Baton Rouge). But the Baton Rouge sign guy apparently doesn’t limit himself to signs on public property.

9. Rider says:

If the guy is grabbing those “we buy junk cars” type of roadsigns he is my new hero.

10. SamLL says:

Thanks a lot, so much nicer without that flickering animation. I thought we all got moving GIFs as a cornerstone of web design out of our systems back in the Geocities days.

(Edit: intended as a reply to Stephen Schenck)

11. defunctionaldismocracy says:

In my city, it is illegal to post signs on public property except where adjoining the business being advertised, or on private property without the owner’s written permission. There is also a scammer leaving ads offering free bankruptcy consultation with an 800 number, and plenty of politicians who do not clean up after their campaigns.

Turns out, Coroplast is an excellent material for all sorts of arts & crafts. Conscientious citizens recommend it highly for backyard greenhouses, children’s puppet theaters and small, lightweight shipping or storage containers.

Know your local ordinances, then go out and tidy the community while making children/plants/fragile objects happy!

• mocon says:

When I’m Benevolent Dictator, if you leave your Garage Sale signs posted all over the neighborhood after your sale is over, anyone can come into your house and buy whatever they want for a dollar.

And I will be loved.

• defunctionaldismocracy says:

I vote for you as Benevolent Dictator! The garage sale signs in my neighborhood are all very poorly spelled, and therefore a negative influence on children.

12. chorizo says:

Sorry sir, my phone is not capable of placing calls while recording video, so I won’t be able to call the police until you cease to be entertaining.