EFF files formal objection against DRM's inclusion in HTML5

6 Responses to “EFF files formal objection against DRM's inclusion in HTML5”

1. peregrinus says:

if you don’t do as we say, you won’t get our premium content

4,000 years of civilization at threat.  Hanging by a thread.

2. Andrew Reid says:

Good on ‘em, proud to be a member. Minor editorial note — “W3C”, not “WC3″.

• Cowicide says:

And good on you for being a member! :)

• DewiMorgan says:

Way I see it, given their recent DRMophilia, they get called WC3 until they can prove themselves capable of producing an HTML standard worthy of being read outside of Outhouse 3.0.

3. teapot says:

“And users go where their rights and desires are best respected”

Danny, you couldn’t be more right… I’ve been a loyal TPB customer since all these jackass media companies started suing people. It’s not like I don’t have some money to spend (I’m a 2013 EFF member), it’s just that I don’t want my money being used by media companies to pay lawyers to break our freedoms and ruin the lives of individuals who aren’t savvy enough to pirate safely.

You sue some poor person an unbelievable amount for pirating a handful of songs? You lose your right to have my money. I also frequently teach people how to use TPB and bit torrent.

I *do* buy content as well, but I wait until it’s reasonably priced. If they can sell it for $20 retail, 6 months after its release at $50, then it clearly isn’t worth $50 and I will help myself until they price it reasonably.

4. kxra says:

The EFF has also supported the Free Software Foundation’s anti-DRM campain (Defective by Design) and the petition to stop DRM in HTML5: http://www.defectivebydesign.org/no-drm-in-html5