DIY turd-transplants

Despite regulatory headaches, a growing community of people with Crohn's, ulcerative colitis and other IBDs, as well as those with C. difficile, are turning to fecal transplants, often resorting to DIY poop-enemas.

16 Responses to “DIY turd-transplants”

1. Grey Devil says:

DIY poop enemas sounds very crappy. I dunno guys.

2. oneswellfoop says:

The first thing that popped (pooped?) into my head was the “End to end! End to end!” scene in Requiem for a Dream, only kinkier and potentially medically beneficial.

3. Worst. Party game. Ever.

4. skeptacally says:

christ, what an asshole?

5. incipientmadness says:

I understand that the processed poop needs to go through a nasogastric tube all the way to the duodenum for this procedure to work. I don’t think poop laced enemas will work.

Of course, almost every “health” practice that involves enemas is total bullshit. The only time you need an enema is when you can’t adjust to your opiate painkillers.

• obocoo says:

You should read up on the subject. “Poop laced enemas” is the procedure most widely used. One of the leading authorities, Dr. Thomas Borody, has developed the protocol used by most IBD sufferers, going the DIY route. There’s no quack bullshit about it, and it pretty much saved my life. I would have *eaten* the shit, if I had to. Only wished some doctor had told me about it. That would have saved me the 8 years I spent in the bathroom.

6. Aram Jahn says:

A Short PSA:

Everyone reading this should wash their hands, probably more than once over the next few hours, for reasons too numerous to go into. And yes, I may be projecting. That is all.

Edit to add: I’m waiting for yet another DIY fecal transplant article on BB in which one of the Boingers inserts some sort of picture with the caption, “Just look at it!”

Edit to add, Vol Number Two: I do not have any sort of Crohn’s or IBD or any of that, and consider myself lucky. I know two people who SUFFER from these dis-eases, and if this stuff works – and it looks like it does, BB has been giving us the straight poop on developments for months now – damn the FDA/AMA/Big Pharma: do what ya gotta do! No one should have to suffer like that!

7. Matt Drew says:

Come on Cory, the article (and others) are quite clear – it’s not *despite* regulatory headaches, it’s *because* of regulatory headaches that DIY is becoming more popular. And the article doesn’t go into the reason FMTs are not covered by insurance, which is, of course, because they aren’t legally permitted to cover the procedure. Why isn’t there more research on FMTs? Once again, because the normal research process, highly dependent on NIH and FDA approval, simply didn’t have the appropriate checkboxes on their paperwork to properly categorize the research for funding. The regulatory process will take a decade, if the researchers can even get together the ridiculous amount of money necessary to complete it. Meanwhile, the FDA will continue with their unaccountable, inscrutable stranglehold on people’s health and very lives.

This is how regulation actually works in the real world.

8. Meg says:

The FDA exists to make sure people aren’t sold things (yes even your all mighty fecal transplants that apparently work wonders) until they have been proven to be safe and effective. It takes 10 years to develop a drug, but it does NOT take 10 years to approve an already existing procedure.  I don’t understand why you don’t think this treatment should have to go through the same scrutiny as big pharma drugs. It’s not about “putting a stranglehold on lives” it’s about protecting patients and consumers from quackery. DIY transplants sound VERY dangerous…

9. Jorpho says:

I anticipate a darkly ironic story in which DIY practitioners are found to be surreptitiously performing fecal matter transplants with something … unsanitary.