Man leaves his handgun on a Disney World ride

A guy forgot his handgun on the Countdown to Extinction ride at Disney World's Animal Kingdom; it was found by a woman and her grandson, who turned it in. The man said that he didn't realize that concealed handguns were forbidden at Disney World, and that he assumed the (totally, demonstrably pointless) bag search was to prevent bombers, not shooters.

56 Responses to “Man leaves his handgun on a Disney World ride”

1. Antinous / Moderator says:

Bag search?  Surely the gentleman in question wasn’t carrying a purse.  The fact that he lost it kind of suggests that it was riding in his trousers.

• ryuthrowsstuff says:

One of the articles I’ve read about this claimed he had been carrying it in his back pocket. The gun in question is apparently a tiny subcompact pistol designed to be concealed.

2. Countdown to Extinction. Line forms to the right.

3. David D says:

Buy a better holster, dude. I recommend something like this.

4. anonymity86 says:

The search is actually to prevent you from bringing food into the park and forcing you to buy overpriced food if you want to eat without leaving the park and going to the picnic area.

• CSMcDonald says:

Um, no – I go in with food all the time and my friend has food in her purse all the time and we go through bag check without any problems.

• sam1148 says:

Disney is pretty lacks about that ‘no outside food’ thing; they know some guests need quick access to some snacks for health reasons and don’t hassle people.

Heck they even have lockers you can stash a full insulated picnic backpack  outside WDW gate and then take it to the Poly for a Picnic Lunch or one of the other picnic table areas around the park.

• Gilbert Wham says:

Hunting your own is ok though.

• Rachel Banzhaf says:

I witnessed them chucking some kid’s cheese puffs at the gates of Six Flags yesterday. Lots of school groups that day and I expect some chaperons ended up buying overpriced snacks for the kids who could barely afford the field trip to begin with.

Meanwhile we (who got the tickets as a gift) suffered minor heat exhaustion because the drinks are so expensive and there are no water fountains!

• sam1148 says:

At Disney and SF you can request a small glass of ice water from any of the vendors free of charge. It’s a law in most states that any place that serves food must also provide free water on request; including counter service places and fast food joints–however a ‘small’ is all they’re required for free–some charge 10 cents for a large cup of ice water.

• Cory Doctorow says:

I’ve brought food into the park more times than I can count, and shown it to the guards. Food is technically supposed to be stashed in lockers, but the lockers are on the far side of the security checkpoint.

5. Doug Black says:

When literally everyone is packing heat, imagine how safe we’ll be!

• sam1148 says:

People that pull out the old saw of a Heinlein Quote “An Armed Society is a Polite society”; Have never wanted to live in MLK BLV.

• Tynam says:

Of course, an armed society in which everyone was as competent as a Heinlein hero would be pretty polite.  (Since nobody Heinlein wrote ever missed a shot, hurt an innocent with a ricochet, or shot at anyone who wasn’t an enemy.)

The lesson: Libertarianism kinda works if your society is composed primarily of polite, technically competent geniuses with perfect aim and no serious disabilities who don’t drink too much.

I think that’s the lesson, anyway.

• DreadPirateZed says:

I’m scratching my head trying to unpack MLK BLV.  Martin Luther King, Jr Boulevard?  Make Believe?  Give us a hint, please…

6. P E Norris says:

I’m pretty sure there are no “no guns” allowed signs at the bag search area.

That aside, let’s say for the sake of argument you HAD to defend yourself with deadly force at WDW.  Are you really going to pull out a gun and start going to town?  In most areas it’s wall to wall people, kids, moms, dads, grandmas, etc.
    If you let a round fly in any direction, you’re going to hit an innocent bystander. The walls there are paper-mache and stucco, so that round is going to go a long way. I hope he could live with that.

I’m willing to defend responsible gun ownership, but this is very poor judgement.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I’m pretty sure there are no “no guns” allowed signs at the bag search area.

Assuming literacy is a big leap of faith.

• oasisob1 says:

“In most areas it’s wall to wall people, kids, moms, dads, grandmas, etc.

If you let a round fly in any direction, you’re going to hit an innocent bystander. The walls there are paper-mache and stucco, so that round is going to go a long way.”That’s why I recommend the Taurus Judge loaded with Winchester Elite PDX1 shotgun rounds. Designed to stop people, then stop. Perfect for the considerate town home owner.

• Fight4Peace says:

Thats a good point. At the mall shooting in Oregon there was a person with a CCW and he had a his pistol aimed at the shooter. He did not shoot for fear of hitting the shoppers nearby.

• Property owners (Disney) can dictate what they allow on their sites, but at most you can be told to leave and banned from ever reentering any Disney property under penalty of trespass if you ever return.

7. ldobe says:

Dinosar wasn’t all that bad. I mean the plot wasn’t great. But it was the first studio film to blend CG characters and live-action plates pretty much seamlessly. Or at least that was the claim when it came out.

• jackbird says:

The drop in visual quality from the first 10 minutes to the rest of the movie was incredibly jarring.  And the script stunk.

• ldobe says:

I never noticed a drop in quality, albeit I was maybe eleven or twelve the last time I saw it.
        But yes the script was pretty stilted, and the story wasn’t compelling. We all know the dinosaurs don’t survive, why make a drama of struggling against the odds when your audience knows the outcome

• JonS says:

I know, right? That whole Titanic trope is just so overplayed. Hey, Cameron: WE ALREADY KNOW THE SHIP SINKS!

8. headcode says:

And so why isn’t this guy in jail with a million dollar bail?  You can put some dry ice in a plastic bottle and get labeled as a terrorist threat and yet carrying in a real and deadly weapon is OK?

9. I can’t count how many venues I’ve taken a knife into that have involved bag searches. I always carry a pen knife in my bag, and normally forget that it’s there.

Anyone that thinks a cursory fumble in a bag makes a difference to their safety is actually insane. Almost as insane as anyone that thinks removing bins from train stations saves us from bombs.

• JonS says:

“Almost as insane as anyone that thinks removing bins from train stations saves us from bombs”

Actually, the rubbish bins thing *isn’t* insane. The French and the British started doing that because they had to deal with long term, ongoing bombing campaigns. Dumping IEDs in rubbish bins became fashionable, and tended to create extra damage because the bin acted as a (very slight) containment vessel as well as significantly increased the amount of splinters and shards created when the IED detonated. Removing the bins didn’t magically make the bombs go away, but it did make the a touch harder to emplace and reduced their effectiveness.

Of course, France and the UK in the 70s and 80s were special cases. There is no reason why any western country should currently be contemplating removing bins.

• I appreciate it was done for a reason – but let’s not pretend that anyone who was going to put a bomb in a bin just shrugged their shoulders and admitted defeat. Unless all that time they actually just really hated bins.

• JonS says:

As I said; removing the bins didn’t magically make the bombs go away, but it did make them a touch harder to emplace, and reduced their effectiveness.

10. Deidzoeb says:

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good grandmother and child returning the gun to him?

11. Fight4Peace says:

I have to ask. Does the park rule against weapons apply to CCW? In my state the state law very specifically declares what is off limits as Schools, Bars, Court Houses and Federal buildings. Everywhere else is OK to CCW even if they have rules against it. CCW in my state is a right that is not superseded by private property rules. The anti carry rules are difficult to enforce against open carry as well because that is a right declared in our state constitution as well. That said a weapon sitting on a seat is not concealed. This person failed in there responsibility and should have their CCW suspended or revoked IMHO.

• Your right to carry does not supersede my right to allow you, or not allow you, on my property if I so chose for any reason that is not a protected class. Race, gender, etc is a protected class, carrying a CCW or a gun is not a protected class.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

CCW in my state is a right that is not superseded by private property rules.

Elegant proof that the gun lobby is Stalinist.

• JonS says:

Your state law is retarded.