18 Responses to “Schools and the cloud: will schools allow students to be profiled and advertised to in the course of their school-day?”

1. Boundegar says:

In the US, the law requires kids (or their parents) to opt-in, and I get the impression enforcement is pretty strict.

2. anon0mouse says:

“Will schools allow students to be profiled and advertised to in the course of their school-day?”

They would use children as a cheap and plentiful food source, if allowed.

3. Lupus_Yonderboy says:

Schools are *already* allowing students to be advertised to in the course of their school day, they’ve been making money off of it for years.

4. peregrinus says:

We’ve pretty much cleaned advertising out of my kids’ school.  I slid myself into a position of influence, then persuaded all the other sliders to petition the governors and principal to kill all advertising stone dead.

Inside the school boundaries, you’d be hard pushed to realise anyone advertises anything ever.  Science fairs, museum trips, concerts for kids – yes.  Soft drinks, other crap – no.

Advertising in schools ain’t no good.  And monitoring behaviour patterns to optimise advertising?  Fuck no.

5. tré says:

Why are people drawing the line at schools? If we’re seemingly ok with it happening at every other juncture of our lives, why schools? If you’re going to oppose this sort of mining, oppose it. If you’re going to support it, support it.

• aikimoe says:

I think it has to do with the fact that kids aren’t considered by many to be “fair game,” along with the fact that school is compulsory, meaning most kids would be forced into this scheme.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Age of majority? Consent?

6. Fogbert says:

Also interesting is how the “does not eliminate objections” bar is missing from the graph entirely , and as presented, diminishes the magnitude of that part of the story (by limiting the graph to 50 percent).

I would have constructed the graphic differently.

7. Sheila Kaplan says:

So you’re suggesting it’s OK to allow for-profit use of student data if there’s notice?

On page 7 of the Safegov & Ponemon Survey pdf linked above:

["Schools overwhelmingly recognise that data mining for profit by cloud providers is a threat to student privacy and strongly object to the practice. But some schools admit they are tempted to trade student privacy for lower costs. A solution to this conflict of interest is to let parents opt out of cloud data mining for their children."]

I can’t figure out if they’re saying parents should able to opt-out of the cloud all together or opt-out of for-profit use of data stored in the cloud.

I think it’s the latter but looking for confirmation because US parents may think Safegov & Ponemon are saying they should be able to opt-out of the cloud.

They may in fact be saying that… help.

8. Sheila Kaplan says:

Are you saying parents should have the right to either allow or not allow the use of their children’s data for profit as long as they’re informed?

I’m asking because I want to make sure I am correctly interpreting this excerpt from Safegov & Ponemon PDF you linked: ["Schools overwhelmingly recognise that data mining for profit by cloud providers is a threat to student privacy and strongly object to the practice. But some schools admit they are tempted to trade student privacy for lower costs. A solution to this conflict of interest is to let parents opt-out of cloud data mining for their children."]

Are they saying let parents opt-out of the cloud or opt-out of for-profit use of data in the cloud?

I think the latter however want to make sure because parents might interpret as being able to opt-out of the cloud.

Maybe that is what what Safegov & Ponemon are saying. I don’t think they are but need to be certain. Thanks.

9. mausium says:

47% admit it, the rest refuse to talk or lie.