Final scene from Black Orpheus

13 Responses to “Final scene from Black Orpheus”

1. Boundegar says:

Charming! What is that tune? I remember it from the Muzak of my youth,

• Carsten Agger says:

I like the film, but I don’t find it hard to sympathize with Obama’s somewhat cool reaction to it. The description of the favelas, which were places with many hard-working people and some hardship as a never-never land of singing black people does tell us something about Vinicius de Moraes – like “white” and “privileged”.

• Ashley Yakeley says:

Yes. It’s an excellent translation of the myth of Orpheus into another culture; except that that culture is nothing like that.

• millie fink says:

Yeah, a lot of white folks do love some happy go lucky, singin and dancin black folks from time to time.

Thanks for the excerpt, nice to revisit that. If only Obama had lived up to the promise I saw in that book.

2. dpamac says:

If I recall correctly that’s “Scene Du Lever Du Soleil” by Antonio Carlos Jobim…who may have contributed to the Muzak of your youth but his oeuvre is so much more…

• Carsten Agger says:

Part of it is, but I part of it is “Samba de Orfeu” by Luis Bonfá. Another unforgettable song.

3. Bob Knetzger says:

Ha–what a fun co-incidence: I was just working out this same tune on pedal steel guitar for gig tomorrow!

Here, I’ll get you started (bossa nova) :

A- /  B-7b5    E7b9 / A- / B-7b5  E7b9  / A-  / D-7  G7 / CMAJ7  / C#0  A- 7 b5…

4. ShifterCat says:

To me the most powerful scene was the journey to the Underworld translated into a Vodou ritual.  That, I thought, was an excellent example of taking a myth and transforming it to suit a different culture.

5. Nicky G says:

Lovely scene, I shall have to watch the movie now.

6. That kid has some moves!

7. if im not mistaken, that adorable boy is dancing around and playing the guitar without a guitar strap or any real way to support the guitar while dancing around and playing. i may be wrong, and you may not care, but unreal gaiety just falls a bit flat for me.

8. Pure unadulterated Joy. Just what I needed first thing Monday morning…thanks!!