Red crab migration on Christmas Island

14 Responses to “Red crab migration on Christmas Island”

1. ryuthrowsstuff says:

Every time I see something on this I just wonder if these guys are tasty or not. From what I understand they’re technically speaking edible, but I can never find anything on whether they’re worth eating or if there is any tradition of eating them.

• jayson says:

I assume from your comment that you have some Vogon in your heritage.

• fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

You don’t want to interfere with the ‘appeasement of Dagon’ procedure. Just don’t.

• Matthew Clay says:

Though you can eat the red crabs I’m told that they aren’t very nice. Apparently they taste rather muddy. There are other crabs on the island that are often eaten, including a few protected species that are euphemistically called ‘forest lobster’ or similar.

• ChrisWhiteWrites says:

I grew up on Christmas Island, and while it may not be true, my parents always told my sisters and I that they were poisonous, as were coconut crabs (possibly the forest lobster you’re referring to.) From what I understand, none of the crabs there were edible, although that may just be because of the flavour. I remember people eating the ocean crabs (more than a few got ciguatera.)

Coconut Crab:

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Horror.

• L_Mariachi says:

It may be cold comfort, but judging by the size of the handles that’s not a full-sized garbage can.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Yeah, I know. It looks like it’s about 16 inches high. I’m surprised that nobody’s photoshopped it to fix that.

• ryuthrowsstuff says:

Coconut Crab is supposed to be delicious, but apparently it can become poisonous in places where they habitually nosh on poisonous feed (a bit like blow fish I guess). So, if MathewClay is right, your parent probably weren’t stearing you wrong. Red crab = disapointingly nasty, coconut crab = potentially toxic. And then you mention ciguatera. Remind me not to visit that part of the world.

2. Alx Whittlesey ∞ says:

this is great, but wheres the game of thrones discussion!!!!!?????

3. Alx Whittlesey ∞ says:

this is great but wheres the game of thrones discussion!?!?!?!??

4. Gulliver says:

I think I see Dr. Zoidberg in the back left.

5. ycleptShawn says:

Adorable is not the word I would have used.  Creepy, maybe. But still, look at them, just look at them.

• ChrisWhiteWrites says:

They’re full on when you live on the island. Some of the homes on top of the hill are built directly between the bulk of the rainforest and the bay – you leave your front and back doors open, and close of all the other doors inside, then let them just file through. School is cancelled for that week, as you can’t get to the school without crushing millions of crabs. The roads turn red with a sea of crabs. And then the babies come crawling out of the ocean, up to the jungle. They are everywhere.