My latest Quarterly.co mailing - a precious fragment of oudh

9 Responses to “My latest Quarterly.co mailing - a precious fragment of oudh”

1. Stefan Jones says:

Can one infect local trees with oudh and become a perfume millionaire?

• haineux says:

Just like truffles, some people have had a little bit of limited success, but there’s no reliable method.

• ryuthrowsstuff says:

Seeding truffles is pretty reliable from what I understand. It just takes 25+ years for a new grove to produce, and it stops producing in another 25-50 years. That’s why truffles are currently so expensive when about 100 or so years ago they were relatively affordable. Most of the groves seeded in the past have dried up and it takes so long to prep new ones that the supply shrunk up on us. You basically plant trees using acorns from a truffle producing bit of oak Forrest and and wait a sizable chunk of your life.

• haineux says:

I thought that people were looking for a way to take some truffle goop and attach it to a tree root, and then wait a year and get truffles. That’s hard.

For Oudh, they’ve been doing similar: start with a biggish tree, drill a hole, put in some fungus, wait, get Oudh.

Except neither of these is at all reliable, and if you can figure out a way to make it reliable, well, that would mean a lot more truffles and oudh, and maybe a lot of money for you.

2. Senor Wences says:

I was psyched to receive my Quarterly mailing of oudh. However, I was a little bummed when I found out that oudh (or agarwood, specifically Aquilaria malaccensis)  has been listed since 1995 as a potentially threatened species by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. All other species have been listed as potentially threatened since 2004.

3. Dave1183 says:

Sort of a non-virtual BoingBoing in the offline world…  : )

4. Beanolini says:

Not Oud nor Ood, but a bit of spalted wood.