Limited edition Oblique Strategies deck from Brian Eno

34 Responses to “Limited edition Oblique Strategies deck from Brian Eno”

1. jandrese says:

Does anybody have an example of one of the oblique strategies in this box?  It seems pretty vague for something that costs nearly $100.

2. mindfu says:

Just TAKE MY MONEY.

Ordered. Can’t believe it wasn’t past 500 yet.

3. Kenmrph says:

I’m holding out for the Slacker branded edition.

4. hi-endian says:

I totally find myself wanting this, although I don’t know if I can justify spending money on this thing I clearly don’t need.

5. hi-endian says:

Am I understanding correctly that this:

is the same thing that this post links to, but in non-limited-edition form?

• haineux says:

There are SLIGHT differences. Some of the cards will say different things — that’s the big change. Also, the box is a different color, and this is a limited edition, with someone writing the number on a card.

There are websites that go into a lot of detail about the various editions of this box of cards, the history, etc, and they also include the texts on the cards.

So if you want “just the information,” it’s free. There’s usually even a free “pick a card” website.

6. getback says:

Eno says, “be the first person to not do a thing that no one else has ever thought of not doing before”…

Uh, yeah, like stop worshipping Brian Eno already.  After all,
    ‘e’, ‘n’ and ‘o’ are the first three letters of ENOUGH!

Seriously boingboing…get off the Eno hype wagon — his oblique strategies are more fool-on-the-hill crap on par with the mumbo jumbo spewed by Neil Gaiman and the many other false pop culture gods who are never once questioned on your site.

And yeah, lotsa folks have the four stoopid prints from ‘Before and After Science’…and whatta buncha meaningless BS they were!

Just print 100 cards that say, ‘Think for Yourself’.  That’ll be 100 bucks
    thankyouverymuch.  Suckers.

• millie fink says:

Looks like SOMEONE’S got a bad case of the Thursdays!

• timquinn says:

Hm. Let’s see. I think I have  a deck here somewhere. Let me pull a card for you. Ok.

Oh, haha, . . .  it says, “Shut the fuck up.”

• getback says:

STFU?!!  ha that’s really original but expected.

you better buy that stack of cards then fool, to get some new ideas Timbo.

I’m quite sorry you drank the whole bottle of Eno/Gaiman juice and am sure repeated listening of
        ‘Music for Airports’ and ‘Neverwhere’ will soothe your filthy mouth and remedy your pedestrian, knee-jerk belief in NPR-boingboing demagogues.

• timquinn says:

It’s a joke you monkey. No one cares what you think about it.

• getback says:

uh, yeah – no one cares what I think…except you sure did – so I guess you’re no one then.

and calling me a monkey must be a new word you got from your beloved Eno cards yet I’d rather be a thinking monkey than an angry sheep like you.

Golly now it sounds like you have a bad case of the Thursdays…

I sure hope you don’t wind up at a hospital playing Eno’s pompous, wretched
            ‘Music for Hospitals’!*

* but his next deck of platitudes (for $200) most surely will have a cure for his ambient dithering!

7. millie fink says:

Or you could just read (many or most of) them online here:

8. rollerskater says:

Housed in an exclusive burgundy box. That about sums it up for me.

• Steve Taylor says:

I like the exclusive burgundy box – it makes it sound classy, like a matching pen and pencil set.

• Dave1183 says:

Oh, but it’s burgundy cardboard, no, wait… finely-pressed wood fiber ensconced in burgundy faux parchment. And only $92.70.

Eno-ff is Eno-ff… ; )

9. rickward says:

Someone should mash up Oblique Strategies with Cards Against Humanity.

10. Dave1183 says:

I just had an idea for a new card game. Eno, kinda’ like this:

11. Dave1183 says:

…and another thing. If it’s Oblique Strategies, how come the box has right angles?

12. Ian Wood says:

Now I feel bad for buying this. I could’ve had an autographed 1978 edition for only $1080.00.

13. Chang Terhune says:

I love my Oblique decks!  I use one in my music studio but also in my yoga studio.  I pull a card before I teach a class.  Often they are oblique; more often they are prophetic!  I love them so much I used one in a letter to my local paper about a local blowhard also named Eno:  http://www.pressherald.com/letters-to-the-editor-effort-to-defend-lepage-fails_2013-06-04.html