Because "Your choices at 30,000 feet are pretty limited."

19 Responses to “Spirit Airlines is sure you'll enjoy its new 6% alcohol wine-in-a-can”

1. Stefan Jones says:

Knowing Spirit airlines, they’ll charge you a recycling fee for tossing the can in the bag the flight attendant brings through the aisle.

2. zefuture says:

I’m all for ridiculing greedy corporations, but the article actually says: « The cans are easier to stack and store in planes and — here’s the kicker
    — weigh less, which cuts down on the total weight of planes and will
    ostensibly help Spirit save money on fuel. » as if it’s a bad thing.

• tré says:

Stupid corporations, burning less fossil fuels and keeping costs down in the process.

• jandrese says:

You know what would make it weigh even less?  If it wasn’t watered down 50% and they just gave you one half the size.  Water is heavy, and everybody knows airline food is a racket anyway so being half the size doesn’t seem to be a problem.

• ssam says:

I guess that gives more room for them to carry perfume, tobacco and crapgadgets, for the inflight shop.

3. GawainLavers says:

My choices are 30,000 feet are limited, but mercifully they always seem to include alternatives to Spirit.

Maybe it’s a sign of age, but I’m willing to spend a little extra these days for better hours, fewer layovers, and particularly for airlines with better customer service.

Given the brand options, I think glass vs. aluminum isn’t fundamentally a very significant aesthetic difference, but adding 50% water certainly is, and that is clearly where the real savings accrue.

4. tré says:

You’d think with a name like spirit it would be quite a bit stronger.

5. IslandBased says:

At 30,000 feet, you really don’t want the bouncer to toss you out.

6. semiotix says:

Wine doesn’t have to have a high alcohol content, or be served out of a corked bottle, to be decent.

I’m sure it’ll taste like fruity turpentine, but that’ll be because you’re buying it on a plane, end of story.

If you can’t wait the duration of a two-hour flight to satisfy your craving for alcohol (or, if you insist, delicate overtones of oak moss and whatnot) then I’m pretty sure I don’t want to be flying with you anyway.

7. Dan says:

This is completely appropriate, as Spirit is the Boone’s Farms of Airlines.

8. rocketpj says:

Nice for those who can afford to be sniffy about wine in airplanes I guess.  These days I’d be willing to ride on the wing if I thought I could afford a trip somewhere.

9. Chanfan says:

Not that I think wine in a can would be inherently bad, other than psychologically. Craft beer has become quite popular in cans, as they are lined nowadays, do not suffer from the metallic taste infusion, and keep out destructive light.

10. bolamig says:

I don’t know why they even have flight attendants anymore.  All they need is a good system of tubes and the existing emergency breathing masks to deliver slop right into our gullets.

11. Triple E says:

Not a problem for me, because Spirit pretty much either doesn’t fly anywhere I need to go, or when they do, never have those insanely low prices the rest of the world seems to get, and I have better options.

That said, wine in a can is probably fine if it’s good wine — craft beer comes in cans these days and better wineries are using the box.  Hey, now there’s an idea — airline wine in a juice box!

• MrsBug says:

Trust me, you’re not missing much. The 36-hour flight I had on a C5 with 3 layovers was a better experience than my flight from Detroit to St. Thomas on Spirit. Never again! If Spirit is my only option, there are no options.

12. Aurvondel says:

‘ “My wine consumption stops at a plastic bottle,” one flier told the AP. “I just don’t want that metallic taste in my mouth.”’

Cans have been lined since the 70s. Any metallic flavor that people detect is in their imagination. It’s as silly as the prejudice against wine in a cardboard box or wine with a plastic cork.