Cold War missile silo converted to home on market for $750k

32 Responses to “Cold War missile silo converted to home on market for $750k”

1. jandrese says:

It looks like the silo itself has been left open to the elements for some time now, which is why the living spaces are so small–they’re only living in the command center.

I imagine the annoyances of living in a place with a zillion stairs out in the middle of nowhere would start to add up pretty quickly once the novelty of living in an old bunker wore off.

It’s a real shame they don’t have the hydraulics hooked up to open and close the shutters though, for all the air and natural light you get, the elements have really beaten the crap out of that place.  Being able to close it when it rains or in the winter would probably help a lot.

• Benjamin Palmer says:

Home improvement project list:

Mow lawn, install white picket fence.Repair hydraulic launch doors and vents.
      Chase out family of racoons living on level 5.
      And 7.
      And 13.
      Paint exposed steel beams in bedroom.

• MrsBug says:

Yeah, but they can now rent the silo proper out to Hollywood to do a dystopian-zombie-slasher movie! Step3: Profit!

2. jandrese says:

I wonder how many pages the inspector will need to write his report on this thing when you try to buy it?  Lead Paint, asbestos, I’m pretty sure that weird curvy ladder is not up to code, gigantic open pit in front yard, etc…

3. kmoser says:

I bid one MEELION dollars.

4. Ladyfingers says:

Plutonium parts per million?

5. Xploder says:

Regardless of the hazardous wastes left behind, I would literally give my left NUT to own this damn thing.

6. MrKahuna says:

There’s a bunch around here (I’m about 20 miles from this one.)  There was a good article in our local weekly several years ago about them: http://www.7dvt.com/2006/bombs-away which includes some info on this one.

7. Ackbell says:

Wow, I have been in this actual facility when I was helping a friend who was shooting a movie in there.

Yes one of the hydraulic arms that lifts the doors is missing. It was broken and sitting out on the lawn when we were there.

That curvy ladder stood out so much I even took a photo of it while in there.

I’m a civil engineer and this thing was amazing to look around in. So many safety hazards, much of the flooring around the silo area was damaged and missing.

8. niktemadur says:

That’s one helluva “Bombed Back To The Stone Age” bachelor pad.
    Then there’s this whole Donald Fagen’s “New Frontier” air about it.

9. Antinous / Moderator says:

Does it come with a tanning bed?

10. TheOven says:

I bet it has great views.

11. whymustallmyaccountshavediffer says:

You could buy a cupboard in London for that.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Or lunch with Prince Andrew.

• niktemadur says:

Or a good ol’ fashioned, casual racial slur from Prince Phillip.

• Jonathan Roberts says:

I’m pretty sure those are on the house – I know a number of people who have met him, and they all seem to have an anecdote. One guy I know has been living in the UK with his family for years, but he originally comes from Nigeria. He was visiting the palace to represent his university, as he had been doing some important research there. When Prince Philip met him, one of his only questions was to ask when he would be going home.

12. pjcamp says:

So with that silo there, you wouldn’t have to take out your garbage for a long time.

That’s even better than a church, near by a restaurant.