26 Responses to “UK spies have access to NSA Prism, which has "direct access" to world's largest Internet companies' servers”

1. Ricardo Proença says:

I guess the reality portrayed by the  web comic “The Private Eye” is coming sooner rather than latter.

2. ssam says:

Intelligence Laundering: There are strict laws about when you can spy on your own citizens. The laws don’t apply to foreigners. So you share your information with foreign intelligence agencies. You scratch their back, they scratch yours. Now its information received from foreign networks which you can use.

• Thraxamer says:

It’s also possible that GCHQ’s access falls under the UKUSA Security Agreement.

Also, each of the 16 agencies within the US Intelligence Community has their own sets of individual mandates and restrictions, some of which are more forgiving of domestic surveillance than others.

That doesn’t justify any of this or make the situation any less horrible.

• Dave1183 says:

Yes, strict laws that the NSA ignored.

I like Henry Kissinger’s quote: “Before the Freedom of Information Act, I used to say at meetings, ‘The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer.’”

3. awjt says:

I smell lotsa rats with this whole thing.  Specifically, I smell:
    -another Obama takedown try, like with the IRS
    -outright lying by major corporations
    -unconstitutional behavior by NSA, etc.
    -a generally non-private Internet under the guise of privacy
    -enemies getting access to more stuff they shouldn’t have, because of chaos
    -media over-hype
    -a possible ruse fake slideshow to get everybody riled up
    -bacon.

4. lev36 says:

Quelle surprise!

5. Loafer says:

Can someone send me the date and time the revolution starts ?
    I’m getting bored waiting

6. hungryjoe says:

The governments always claim to have stacks of secret successes that justify these programs, although YOU don’t have a need to know about those successes.

No one talks about the false positives, or what effect it has on an innocent person’s life to be a false positive.

• acerplatanoides says:

sure thing Mister Buttle.

• blissfulight says:

They got Osama!  They got Osama!  When then actually have any success (even pyrrhic victories like Osama, about 10 years too late), they shout it from the rooftops.

So, I’m guessing they got nothing…

• Thebes42 says:

On this matter we have only “the word” of a known liar who promised “transparency” and “hope” but instead spied on us even worse than his predecessor.

• Dave1183 says:

Once in awhile a false-positive story comes out. The one that comes to mind is in the UK. Some privacy advocate or something like that (I hope I’m not mixing up my conspiracies) was exhibiting suspicious behavior – hanging around too long somewhere, something like that. What the GESTAPO paid him a friendly visit, they found a suspicious drawing that that thought might just be a map to London’s subway system. Of course the drawing was just some doodle, I think it even had a rough sketch of a TV set it in.

I wonder if the intel community has any idea at all what buffoons they look like at times.

7. nitemayr says:

I wonder just how far this rabbit hole goes? Is CSIS also in on this?  Have we all been living in a 100% surveillance state for the past decade without anyone knowing (I know AT&T was in on it, but seriously… this is getting beyond the joke)

• TombKing says:

If what my mom told me is true about a phone call from my grandfather to her about a specific library book when he was still working for army/dod intel I think they have been doing as much as they can for as long as there has been intel and law enforcement agencies. It is just now so easy to gather up everything than it was back in the late 60s when I was still in utero. I know that records through grandchildren are kept so at  the least my kid is file free (or at least no more than any other joe citizen) but I have an official record out there somewhere.

8. Hugh Jorgan says:

“We do not comment on intelligence matters.”

See? ‘Fuck you. That’s why’ really does work wonders.

9. Anthony I says:

“Google Glass rocks!”  (Thus spake the NSA)

10. Dave1183 says:

The UK is part of the “Five Eyes”… consortium? US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, also called AUSCANNZUKUS. Wasn’t that the name of a Nazi concentration camp?

11. felonmarmer says:

Microsoft advert for IE : “Your privacy is our priority”

I reckon we can get the advertising standards people to pull all their adverts.

12. Mike Kurdziel says:

This is why we created adeptCloud…on-premise, private cloud storage that’s as easy to use as Dropbox. http://adeptcloud.com