Sesame Street's materials for kids with an incarcerated parent

17 Responses to “Sesame Street's materials for kids with an incarcerated parent”

1. Nell Anvoid says:

Unfortunately, there’s likely to be a huge, diverse audience for this. Locking people up for small things has become big, profitable business… and a surefire way to ring the bells of pinheads and a-holes who comprise the “base.”  The kids are just collateral in this malevolent”industry.”

• Bill Binns says:

For small things like drug possession, I would tend to agree with you. If your “small things” are auto theft or assault, I’m out. These kids are victims of their parents bad decisions more so than being victims of the system.

• Tynam says:

True… but actual violent offences are still a minority.  (Also, the number of people in jail for theft is partly an effect of the drug war).

2. Nora Sawyer says:

I also strongly recommend  Visiting Day, by Jacqueline Woodson

3. Leo says:

Now make one for kids whos parents are meth heads! And one whos parents abandoned them in an alley! OOOOR. Or, make one that teaches the kid to not grow up and be a shit parent whos kids will read these sad books.

• OliveGreenapple says:

Wow. Simple answer! Wonder why no one thought of that yet!

• mccrum says:

Those books will probably just be ignored, just like the ones on grammar and punctuation.

• JP Coolin says:

1. Those scenarios are too specific.

2. Some people need help?

• Gilbert Wham says:

Or be a cynical asshole with childishly simple ideas about the world.

• Leo says:

You’re a genius. Seriously. The smartest guy I’ve came across on these interwebs. And your mom is smart too. Like seriously super duper smart.

• Vinnie Tesla says:

I considered a couple replies to this, but eventually I realized that your point is so incoherent that I was just guessing at what you’re actually getting at. I hear that you’re mad that somebody made a book for kids who have family members in jail. Would you like to say what your objection is, or what you would like to see done instead?

• Leo says:

Holy shit, I didn’t realize my stupid comment would make all you lesbos get your panties in such a bunch. Well, keep analyzing my brilliant comment. I did a lot of research and proofreading before posting it.

4. Gabriel Nagmay says:

Anyone else notice that the hoodlum’s son is wearing a hoodie?

5. sour60 says:

this will also help in explaining why Elmo’s voice sounds different.

6. Gilbert Wham says:

Can we not just, like, put Sesame Street in charge of stuff?

7. Jenonymous says:

Another reason to love Sesame Street.  I was a year old when the show first aired.

Over the years, the series has never ceased to amaze me in the way that it’s dealt with incredibly difficult topics–death, child molestation (remember when Snuffeluffagus was finally seen/believed by everyone?), childhood hunger,  and disasters (post-911, especially.  I remember seeing the bit where Maria shows Elmo how to dial 911 if he sees a fire…).

The website looks like a fantastic resource.

Yes, the “set” for the show is a multiethnic, multi-lingual urban area.  IMHO this is the #1 reason why The Powers of Evil want shows like Sesame Street defunded.

For New Yorkers especially, that show has a place in the hearts of many.  For years, one of their clips about parks that was in standard circulation showed a bit of park that was near my great aunt’s apartment in the South Bronx.  I remember getting excited when Mom took me there and recognizing the rides/jungle gym…but I digress.

Good on Sesame Street for not shrinking from the most difficult topics.