Text adventures on your smartphone

14 Responses to “Text adventures on your smartphone”

1. ando bobando says:

I loved those books so much! I always kept my finger bookmarking the most recent decision page, so I could go back to it if I found myself at a dead-end. I was too impatient to start back at the beginning. Who’s with me!

2. semiotix says:

If you wake the rabid bear and feed him your kid sister to distract him while you steal the village’s gold for yourself, turn to page 54.

If you go back home and do your chores, turn to page 96.

flip flip flip

PAGE 96. You dutifully return to your parents’ house and do your chores. They are proud to have such an obedient and thoughtful child.

Later that year, the village comes to the attention of a nearby warlord, who has heard of its intact hoard of gold. His troops plunder your village, killing wantonly. You yourself are mortally wounded when an arrow hits you in the back as you do your chores. You live just long enough to see your kid sister carried off to a fate far worse than death.

THE END

You have CHOSEN WRONG, like you ALWAYS DO

and we know you kept your finger on the last page, CHEATER

3. edgore says:

Yay! Scott Adams adventures! (The not-a-dick Scott Adams)

4. Jorpho says:

Previously on BoingBoing, “Trial of the Clone”:

I rather wish I could play the Android/iOS version, as it sounds like a natural fit for this sort of thing.

5. CH says:

Pirate Adventure, or Pirate Cove as the Vic-20 version I played was called, was the first text adventure game I played (and the first game for our brand spanking new computer… ooh, the thrill of owning an actual computer!). I got stuck quite at the beginning… the same place I get stuck on most text adventures. :/

6. EH says:

ADVENT (Colossal Cave) is also avaialble for Android!

7. Yep says:

My love affair began with “XYZZY” and ended with, “You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.”

8. El Stinko says:

As a kid I was enthralled with the simple Scott Adams adventure series on our family TRS-80 Model I. Running from a cassette deck it took forever to parse single commands, but I plugged on anyway, waiting with immense anticipation to see if my directions would solve the puzzles.

Coincidentally (or not?) after reading this linked article, I Googled his name to find out that he has just released his first new game in 10 years. http://www.msadams.com/inorder.htm

9. Stefan Jones says:

If you have an INFORM compiler, you can play my Haunted House adventure!

10. raines says:

This is what I expected in Monday’s Apple SteveNote when they reminded us iOS has Unix at the core… “Now, command-line on the lock screen!”