26 Responses to “Long-lost diary of Nazi racial theorist and Hitler confidant recovered”

1. Brainspore says:

Something tells me it will be less sympathetic than Anne Frank’s.

2. Mister44 says:

Did I miss the detail of exactly WHERE they found it?

• sschenck says:

They took it from the guy who runs this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Mellen_Press

• griffey says:

Which is the same group that has been featured on BoingBoing in the past, as Mellen Press is currently in litigation with a Canadian librarian, Dale Askey: http://boingboing.net/2013/02/08/publisher-launches-3000000.html

• Mister44 says:

Interesting – how did he get it? You would think such important documents would have been tracked better. I wonder if it delves into all the gastrointestinal  problems Hitler had.

• dr says:

He apparently weaseled his way into the life of
          Kempner’s former secretary.  They’re having a field day with this over in the Chronicle of Higher Education forums.

• noah django says:

>publishing house
        >has Rosenberg Diary
        >doesn’t publish it

they didn’t know what was in their archive, or they were sitting on it because they stole it from the rightful owner, or what?  we get five different re-tellings of who he was and what was in the diary, but nothing on this?

• Boundegar says:

You assume this publishing house is a legitimate business which seeks out interesting, controversial, and popular books and publishes them.

3. sschenck says:

“The discovery and return of this long-lost, important historical document to the government of the United States is a significant achievement.”

I’m a little sketchy on what basis the US government has for believing this document to be its property.

• Michael Walsh says:

If I understand it correctly, all documents captured by the Allied armies were considered the property of their governments. When the diary was taken from US custody by one of the lawyers, it was considered theft. The people who acquired it later had no rights to the stolen goods, so the US gets it back.

4. dan_o_becker says:

It is a very good article. Thanks for the research and the posting.

On a journalistic question, is there any reason for the respelling of “Adolf Hitler” as “Adolph Hitler”? It seems most people, perhaps not in the USA, know him as Adolf.

5. noah django says:

the guys name is Rosenberg.  seriously?

• Mister44 says:

What were you expecting? Bender Rodriguez?

• ocschwar says:

Names such as Rosenberg are part of a group of surnames assigned to families in censuses in the late 1700′s and early 1800′s in the German speaking areas, to people who were not using surnames and instead using patronymics or extended nicknames.

That extends not only to Jews, but also to Christians in areas like Frieseland.

• noah django says:

I appreciate your info.  My comment was partly tongue-in-cheek.  I knew that some German names were used by both jewish and christian families because I have one.  I’ve been told flat-out by jews who claimed genealogical authority that I must have jewish ancestry with my last name of Gross.  I entertained it for a while, but after some research:  nope.

However, I was always the only Gross.  Being from Detroit metro, I went to school and summer camp with scores of Roses, Rosens, Bergs, and Rosenbergs, all of whom were proudly jewish.  So, I just found it highly ironic.  Anyway, it was actually a pleasure to have my snarky comment shot-down so authoritatively, and it might give more insight into my own name.  Thanks :)

• Preston Sturges says:

And there were ”Honorary Aryans”

“…..Honorary Aryan (German: Ehrenarier) is a term from Nazi Germany. It was a status granted by the Nazi Bureau of Race Research to certain individuals and groups of people—who were not generally considered to be biologically part of the Aryan race—which certified them as being honorarily part of the Aryan race…. were deemed valuable to the German economy or war effort,[1] or simply for other purely political reasons.”

6. 3William56 says:

This is very interesting, but exactly what has the diaries of some hateful Nazi f**kbucket got to do with  ”Homeland Security” and Customs and Immigration, unless words on paper have suddenly become contraband?

On of the biggest problems with PRISM and the like is that government departments rarely stick to their publicly and legislative brief.

• Vengefultacos says:

The Customs was absorbed into the huge monster called “Homeland Security.” Their mandate, according to their site is “U.S. Customs and Border Protection secures the homeland by preventing the illegal entry of people and goods” which stunningly enough, makes sense. While these words on paper aren’t dangerous, they are stolen property (which you’d know if you RTFA) that has been transported into the U.S. illegally, and therefore falls under their jurisdiction.

Homeland Security had gotten to become a bloated, idiotic bureaucracy, that’s true, but this is actually part of what they are supposed to be doing.

7. So he was a Nazi you say? You know who else was a Nazi?

Hitler.

8. mgabrys says:

Document which was unpublished, is found – the content not disclosed (apart from a single soundbite), and goes to another organization which will display but not publish it. How is this news? I have paperweights that provide more info.

9. Preston Sturges says:

I remain convinced that somewhere there is a book of Nazi strategy that is like holy book to some  American billionaire crackpots.

There were 3 main laws passed by the Nazis:
    One – The Enabling Act to crush unions (like “right to work” laws)
    Two – The Nurenberg Laws to regulate marriage (like DOMA)
    Three – Reich Local Government Act to abolish local elections (loike emergency manager laws)

I believe that there is some obscure Nazi book like this being used as a roadmap by groups like ALEC.  In state after state they are fixated on this specific agenda.