Bookstore porthole

21 Responses to “Bookstore porthole”

1. Boundegar says:

I’m starting to think on slow news days you guys just type “book+sculpture” into Google images.

2. spenze says:

Looks allot like the one in the Last Bookstore, in downtown LA

3. Well, the wanton destruction of books to make the porthole makes me cringe.

4. copperwatt says:

Ghaaa!!! Won’t somebody think of the books??!!

5. Bucket says:

Dammit, and I needed a copy of “A Harsh and Dreadful Love”! You bastards!

6. Gary Robbins says:

As a printer, publisher and bookbinder, whenever I see this kind of thing, I can’t help but remember this quote by John Milton:”Unless wariness be used, as good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God’s image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.”

• weatherman says:

Saying that destroying a copy of Subtext: Making Body Language Work in the Workplace is killing the image of God might be overstating it a bit.

7. stillcantfightthedite says:

Everybody knows the John W. Doull’s on Barrington is the superior of the two.

8. Alex Estabrooks says:

Pretty sure I’ve been here, it’s actually on the Halifax side of the river, not Dartmouth, if I’m not mistaken. Despite the book murder, it’s probably my favourite bookstore.

9. Matt says:

Hate, hate, hate it!

10. Doull's Books says:

Hi all,

Two points of clarification: we WERE in Halifax for the last 25 years, now we are indeed in Dartmouth, hopefully for the next 25!  (At least!)

2) *Every* member of staff is a reader and lover and collector of books.  What you see here, used to make this porthole, were books that were water-damaged, had pages missing, or were otherwise unsellable.  We did *not* simply pick a pile of books at random & destroy them.

Perhaps we should post a little sign “No good books were destroyed in the making of this bookcase”!  :D

• nachoproblem says:

I’d like to think there were several copies of “The Da Vinci Code” in there. Regardless of condition.

11. D3 says:

Is anyone else curious as to why Cory has so many posts involving the destruction of books?

12. Evan Wynne says:

That bookstore is pretty amazing.