Durian McFlurry at McDonald's Singapore

74 Responses to “Durian McFlurry at McDonald's Singapore”

1. chgoliz says:

You’ll notice it’s only available at dessert kiosks, presumably not in the restaurants themselves.

Actually, I’m surprised Singapore allows durian at all.

(Full disclosure: I *love* durian….but I understand it’s not for most people.)

• One time in Malaysia we were having this buffet breakfast and my son spied an ice cream freezer. I told him he could get an ice cream so he came back with what he thought was mango ice cream. He took one mouthful and then generously gave it to me to finish. Such a thoughtful son.

My wife, who likes durian, finished it for us.

• Kamintra says:

They do allow durian…you just can’t eat it in most public places and hotels will turn you away the door.  This, kids, is how I ended up sneaking into a park in the middle of the night in July 1993 to eat some durian.

I risked arrest in a country that canes, and it was worth it.

2. acerplatanoides says:

Durian crunch??

3. Bill_Kos says:

What’s next, natto nachos?

4. Bink Binkerson says:

Durian has all the appeal of 10-day-old roadkill carrion.   Except it smells worse.

5. Antinous / Moderator says:

I’m just going to stick to my Dilaudid McSlurry.  It doesn’t have as much flavor, but I won’t care in the least.

6. Rich Keller says:

I can get artificially flavored durian wafer cookies at a local grocery store. I keep meaning to leave an unopened pack of them on the snack table in the con suite at a sci-fi convention some time.

• spacedmonkey says:

I like durian, but artificial durian flavor is just nasty.  It bears about the same relation to the original that artificial grape or cherry flavor does, but the original is much less innocuous.

• Christopher Murray says:

Artificial cherry I don’t mind, but artificial grape just tastes like children’s medicine, and I can’t stand artificial banana flavor.

• TheMadLibrarian says:

I’ve seen/had those snack crackers.  They were surprisingly bland, both in taste and smell.  Nothing to see here, move along.

7. R4Nd4LL_b says:

Can you carry it on the bus?

8. WryBenjamin says:

I’m sorry, but we Singaporeans actually like the stuff. Singaporeans will probably be all over this like flies to a…durian.

9. WryBenjamin says:

I’m sorry, but we Singaporean absolutely love the stuff. We’ll be all over this like flies to a…durian.

Heck, we love durian so much, we even made a building that looked like it.

10. zippy_monster says:

Am I the only one here that doesn’t think durian smells that bad?

11. invictus says:

So just what function did a testical serve in a T. rex? I presume this is an organ unique to the T. rexes.

12. Aeron says:

No! Bad McDonalds!

13. ldobe says:

I honestly don’t know which kind of awful a durian smells like (feces? vomit? roadkill? etc).  I’ve never had occasion to get my hands on durian proper or even a durian flavored anything.

So which “awful” smell is it? The scare quotes are because I don’t mind any smells besides artificial grape and raw formaldehyde.  I have a strong sense of smell (It’s obvious to me when the neighbors 4 houses down the street make cookies in November), but I’m not bothered by most bad smells including 2 week old port-a-john and vomit of any provenance I’ve encountered.  Could durian be that bad?  Or is it just the overwhelming strength of the smell?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Bad clams and warm gorgonzola marinated in turpentine.

• ldobe says:

Actually, I’m alright with warm gorgonzola and turpentine.  It’s the rotten ocean life I tend to have trouble with.  I’m alright with feces, vomit, and rotten dead terrestrial animals, but low tide does get to me.  That and artificial grape and formaldehyde are really my stumbling blocks.  But most other smells don’t really bother me.

I have a bit of an odd sense of smell.  It’s pretty acute, but a lot of things don’t bother me that bother most people.  Maybe I have a strong constitution, or perhaps I was raised smelling bad crap all the time.

• niktemadur says:

Hmm… a couple of weeks ago you made a “yuck” comment about my beloved geoduck clams, with the following “disclaimer”:  Howard Johnson had very respectable fried clams.  Now bad clams, but clams nonetheless, as a negative analogy to durian.

Okay, I’m detecting a pattern, inquiring minds wanna know – what happened between you and the bivalves?

I’ll have you know, grilled steamer clams with gorgonzola, specifically gorgonzola, are particularly good.  Durian, however, I cannot defend.

• Anthony I says:

Sounds like something offered in the frozen food section at Trader Joe’s.

• spacedmonkey says:

You make it sound like that’s a bad thing.

• Smash Martian says:

>I honestly don’t know which kind of awful a durian smells like (feces? vomit? roadkill? etc)

All of the above, pretty much. :-) I have smelled worse things, but I’ve worked in hospital labs and flavour-chemical factories.

It’s seriously worth trying to get past the challenging bouquet, if you can. Fresh durian has an incredible complex tropical fruit custard flavour.

• zippy_monster says:

Smells like compost to me.  Has a nice fruity custardy flavor with hints of French Onion Soup.

• Jim Nelson says:

Like a melon wrapped around a rotting onion.

• radixe says:

Durian doesn’ smell like any of those things you mentioned. It is definitely has ultra strong odor, some call it pungent, but not like ammonia or rotten organic matter pungent. Very distinct and unlike any other.

14. radixe says:

I suspect that caucasians have a gene that makes durians so off putting.
    Even Andrew Zimmern, the bizzare foods tv show host, the man who literally eats ANYTHING, can’t even stomach durian. Which I find completely amusing.

• Josh Jasper says:

You suspect wrong. I’m a Gwailo, and I love it.

• anonotwit says:

I’m not so sure radixe is wrong. There seems to be a genetic component to dislike of cilantro, for instance. However, it’s clearly not universal among caucasians (I love cilantro myself). If there is a durian-hating gene, it’s probably not universal either.

It would be interesting to see if the cilantro-hating set of genes correlates with tolerance for durian. I personally suspect I wouldn’t have that much trouble with durian. I’d certainly try it when I make it out to that part of the world (which I’ll hopefully do in the next few years).

• chgoliz says:

Data point of one: love cilantro, love durian, mixed race but majority European of various stripes.  We do have Asian genes too (and others), so I might not be the best data point to start with.

Cilantro/coriander has been used for culinary purposes  in many parts of the world, including Europe.  Durian has been more localized in southeast Asia, at least until recent times.  My guess is that if there’s a correlation, it might have to do with the super-taster genes instead.

• anonotwit says:

We may be talking about the same thing; apparently supertasters hate cilantro. You however named it properly.

• radixe says:

I think I am a super taster, never had it verified though. But I am definitely much more sensitive to taste than my other family members. HATE cilantro, LOVE durian.

• radixe says:

I live in asia. My point is that I never see the kind of reaction durian brings to caucasians on fellow asians. They either love it or be rather indifferent to it, but I have personally never seen the complete revulsion to it.

• spacedmonkey says:

I like it.

15. twianto says:

Well, that was quite an entertaining (and nonsensical) way, straw man and all, of getting in a negative McDonald’s reference (“McHorrible”).

• bcsizemo says:

A McFlurry is a weak imitation of a DQ Blizzard at best.

I remember a time when a McD’s milkshake was so thick that you’d suck your eyes into your head just trying to drink it with a straw.  And I don’t want to hear about how they used to be all bad for you compared to the now better versions….it’s McDonalds, if I wanted a real milk shake I’d stop by a place that serves real ice cream (and that still wouldn’t be DQ).

• Half-Baked-Gogglebox-Do-Gooder says:

Years ago, a friend parked her care in a Midwestern parking lot on a Friday and caught a train out of town for the July 4th weekend.

She forgot her Mickey D’s “milk”shake.

Got back late Sunday night, and the McD’s thing, while now warm and somewhat more aromatic, WAS THE EXACT SAME CONSISTENCY AS WHEN SHE’D LEFT.

The CUP’S consistency was a bit more suspect, in fact. She was afraid even try to carry it to a garbage can.

16. singingfish says:

but no experience compares to getting a fresh durian from a roadside vendor on the edge of town.  In indonesia at least they love picking the right durian for a visiting Belanda.  There was one time in bali though that our vehicle had a ‘no smoking’ sign  in it.  That meant I couldn’t bring myself to ask the driver if we could stop to pick one up.  Got some good rambutan on that road trip though.

17. anapa anapsky says:

18. 99th Packers says:

nice inform. http://www.99th.in

19. Ron Stimbert says:

I have never had this stuff, but I can see why it is marked “Dessert Kiosks.” In Singapore they have lots of these things, and they are totally outdoors (read: open air.)

20. dr says:

Pity you posted a full-color ad instead of black-and-white.  I would have preferred to see The Picture of McDurian Gray.

21. SCK says:

Just repeat after me- a very white Kano (Filipino for American)- it’s not that bad, it doesn’t smell that bad, really. Because it really doesn’t. Especially when it’s in ice cream or milk shakes. And it tastes like a buttery, woody, mango-like strawberry (that’s the best I can get to accurately describing it).

I like it. But it’s nothing compared to mangosteen (which smells just as fabulous as it tastes).

22. Mike Baker says:

One can only get durian here in California frozen. It doesn’t travel well. It’s better fresh consistency-wise but the flavor is the same and great for shakes. Makes great jam too. It’s one of those things you either love or hate and I love it. I usually describe it as smelling and tasting like really ripe onion and sweet vanilla custard.

23. redesigned says:

YUM!!!! I’d love to try this.