Excellent signs from K.L. Rankine, a gentleman sign painter in Jamaica

14 Responses to “Excellent signs from K.L. Rankine, a gentleman sign painter in Jamaica”

1. ruffneck says:

Go visit Jamaica man. Yaard is always nice and welcoming :) Irie.

2. penguinchris says:

What does he sell them for? I don’t think I’d be able to resist buying one, though I have absolutely no use for one. Hard to imagine a better souvenir, far superior to the sort of schlocky tourist-oriented art you can get in a lot of places like this.

3. djcarlito says:

“a di trute man!”

4. big ryan says:

i love it!

5. theophrastvs says:

at long last Dr Bronner has been located and is living in Jamaica

6. EH says:

Reminds me of this sign, as seen daily at the Powell St. turntable in SF:

7. glaborous_immolate says:

Wow. I wonder…what would happen…if you engaged him in discussion of certain hot button topics.

8. Nagurski says:

On the other hand, if you want to celebrate your gay marriage, or just happen to be LGBT, or even sympathetic to such people, Jamaica is not the place to go celebrate. Horrific mob beatings of people who don’t fit with local consensus on appropriate sexuality are common.

9. noah django says:

reminds me of a Howard Finster type, except better lettering and literacy.

the movie Rockers gives another window into this type of Jamaican craftsmanship.  Horsemouth goes to the painter to get the Loin of Judah painted on the tank of his new motorbike, and the guy does it on-the-spot, right on camera.

10. Vinnie Tesla says:

Can we get a followup post with a picture of man’s sex organs as seen from the inside?

Presumably it would look something like this: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkfMYvy411XG7Hp4RZYaNxOjeZ6domgs9MpF8TdXCtsqohcu3i