Seinfeld's theme is scary at 1/12 speed

26 Responses to “Seinfeld's theme is scary at 1/12 speed”

1. Noddy93 says:

wow.. kinda makes my 30 year love affair with Stapleton seem, well, lame.
    not really… this is a poor man’s attempt at aural disturbance :-)
    ¡Viva Babs Santini!

2. Mike Fischer says:

I would suggest that slowing something down by 100% would mean stopping it, by 1200% would mean running it rapidly in reverse.  Would it be more accurate to say this was slowed down by 11/12ths, or approx 92%?

• Dlo Burns says:

If you slow down something by 100% you’re doubling the playing time. I suggest downloading the multi-platform, open-source, and FREE Audacity to play around with it.

• mickcollins says:

No, if you slow down something by 100% you’re stopping it so you’re making its playing time INFINITE.

• Professor59 says:

It’s the kind of math that WalMart uses to describe sale prices. I guess if writers were any good at math they wouldn’t be writers!

3. Ian Wood says:

Shenanigans. If you slow it down by 1112% it is transposed into an ethereal piece suitable for massage sessions and meditation.

• wingo shackleford says:

I’m pretty sure if you go 1112% slower, you travel backwards in time, possibly causing Beethoven to discover excellent heavy metal.

4. Joseph Francis says:

“The Strike” is the 166th episode of the NBC sitcom Seinfeld. This was the tenth episode of the ninth and final season. It aired on December 18, 1997.

This episode also popularized the concept of a “two-ear”: a melody that sounds attractive sometimes and bad at other times, depending on exterior conditions, such as playback speed.

5. Andrew Singleton says:

Sienfeld: The first SitHor.

• Brainspore says:

I just got the mental image of a menacing, wide-eyed Kramer slowly emerging through Jerry’s front door.

6. Donald Petersen says:

Wonder if Jonathan Wolff has heard this yet.  He oughta be proud.

7. Deja_Fu says:

That was glorious.

It started out dark and foreboding, traveled though a nefarious soundscape, and eventually resolved into something bright and hopeful. It was epic fantasy.

8. PFlint says:

“Breathtaking.”

9. carlogesualdodivenosa says:

Does this mean that if we speed up all those 1970s Tangerine Dream albums, we’ll get sitcom themes?

10. SedanChair says:

See, this is why we shouldn’t send music out on our space probes. The race we encounter might perceive time differently and feel threatened

11. Beanolini says:

This slowing-down business seems to be all the rage. A friend recently alerted me to a slowed-down Justin Bieber song which he claimed sounds like the Cocteau Twins. It does, a bit.

My other half prefers the slowed-down version of Kate Bush’s Wuthering Heights, with the original video slowed down alongside.

• Abo_Zdroff says:

Slowed-down Slayer – sounds like the gates of hell  have opened…

• Ivor Williams says:

Fun music fact: The Bieber song was used by Paul Leonard-Morgan in the slo-mo sections in the Dredd film that came out last year. Think the track in questions is called ‘Ma-Ma’s Requiem’.

I think it was Geoff Barrow (of Portishead) who put the idea onto Leonard-Morgan, as Barrow was collecting a bunch of music for his own imaginary soundtrack to an imaginary Dredd film. Which he later released as ‘Drokk’.

I love that Bieber one. It’s such a masterclass in harmonious uplifting chords.

• skeptacally says:

with this, i have a new respect for justin bieber.

it’s like stoned angels have discovered synthpop.

• chgoliz says:

Kate Bush is a natural choice for this mod.

12. angstrom says:

This is done with a program called PaulStretch . Dredd sountrack, etc. used it. http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

When I’m coding I run my normal mp3s through it, so they don’t interfere with my brain waves.

13. bombblastlightningwaltz says:

Oy, that gets the old narcolepsy  going.

14. Mazoola says:

Am I the only one here who finds normal-speed ‘Seinfield’ a Lynchian horrorshow, full of nightmares and menace?