Flying bicycle

37 Responses to “Flying bicycle”

1. winkybb says:

Biofuel, one of the greatest environmental con-jobs perpetrated on the world. Indonesia is burning down their forests for palm oil. The US is clear-cutting theirs for woodchips to burn overseas. Growing things for energy is the least efficient (in terms of net energy per hectare per year) form of solar farming there is. Solar arrays in sunny dry places? That has potential.

Biofuel = greenwash.

I should add that there is zero innovation in this project. They should be embarrassed to take people’s money. Seriously.

• theophrastvs says:

fair ’nuff.  where’s your flying bicycle for us to make constructive criticism …of?

• bcsizemo says:

I think biofuels of all sorts have a place, just not in the mainstream commercial market that’s for sure.  Biofuel production for agriculture using their waste is a great way to recoup some of the money and energy input, but growing corn to turn into fuel for cars is idiotic.

• Preston Sturges says:

My dream car is still a Hummer that burns whale oil.

• wrybread says:

Do you have a better idea for how to recycle the billions of gallons of spent cooking oil thrown out every year?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Feed it to Irish babies to fatten them up?

• Tsh0ck says:

What is that supposed to mean?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Oh, just a modest proposal.

• Tsh0ck says:

I’m actually asking you to explain the nature of your comment which I find racist. Why ‘Irish babies’?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Does your computer not connect to Google?

• skeptacally says:

oh, the reply to this comment by Tshock.  it is the thing of accidental comedy sketch gold.

pit you can’t reply when the thread moves that far over to the right.

• microdot says:

Look, I’m quite Irish and I instantly understood the ironic humor in the comment. Maybe, Tshock, you should check the contents label of the stuffing of the comfy computer chair you are sitting on…Now, what is that supposed to mean?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Maybe somebody’s never heard of the most famous satirical essay in the English language, but I fed him the answer!

• shaneo says:

Can you explain this comment? As an Irish person, its offensive, and fail to see what relevance it has here?

• shaneo says:

Please explain this comment, as an Irish person who finds this comment racist/ highly offensive, Im very keen to understand how this would be considered relevant to this discussion.

2. Antinous / Moderator says:

Wouldn’t it just be a flycycle?

• Brainspore says:

Flycycle flycycle flycycle
      I want to ride my flycycle flycycle flycycle
      I want to ride my flycycle
      I want to ride my flyke
      I want to ride my flycycle
      I want to ride my
      -flycycle races are coming your way
      So forget all your duties oh yeah
      Fat bottomed girls
      They’ll be flying today
      So look out for those beauties oh yeah

• theophrastvs says:

aerovelocipede

3. Oversoul225 says:

The only thing about this project that irks me, is so many times hearing “it is the first flying bike” etc. etc. and it isn’t. The Flyke is another powered paraglider mounted on a bicycle frame that already aimed to achieve everything this project is trying to do, short of the alternative fuel, that has been around for years.

4. bombblastlightningwaltz says:

Looks dicey with only one arm attached to the bike’s seat post. Any one bolt/nut vibrating loose in flight could spell disaster. Perhaps powering it with 180 proof corn moonshine would be more appropriate in terms of feasibility and economics then Biofuel, but it might be abused by those suffering from Homeritis.

Now if pedal power actually made it fly…. woohoo.

• Gilbert Wham says:

I rather imagine that there’s a deal of reconfiguration to do before that there contraption takes to the air, mind.

5. skeptacally says:

Seems like a TOTALLY fun way to die.

6. I like how I got a CrashPlan advertisement over the top of the video.

7. Felton / Moderator says:

Painstakingly tested by a Mr. W. E. Coyote.

• Ressat4486 says:

мy coυѕιɴ ιѕ мαĸιɴɢ $51/нoυr oɴlιɴe. υɴeмployed ғor α coυple oғ yeαrѕ αɴd prevιoυѕ yeαr ѕнe ɢoт α $1З619cнecĸ wιтн oɴlιɴe joв ғor α coυple oғ dαyѕ. ѕee мore αт…­ ­ViewMore——————————————&#46qr&#46net/kkEj

The Flyke is another powered paraglider mounted on a cycle frame, that
      has been around for years, that already aims to achieve everything this
      project is trying to do, short of the alternative fuel, that has been
      around for years.

8. Joe says:

I approve of all methods of causing rich idiots to plunge to their deaths.

9. pjcamp says:

I’d be a lot more willing to ride that than the Bohemian Meatgrinder

10. phreakincool says:

They should called it the A.C.M.E:
    Areo
    Cycle
    May
    Explode (on impact)

11. swankles says:

Most people can barely drive, you really want them gliding over houses?

• strandedlad says:

Exactly! Even – especially – as a child I never understood why people would pine for flying cars. I always imagined people crashing into buildings, my building, my room…time to go look out the window again!

12. weatherman says:

It’s a great design, though I question the practicality of getting to an airfield via bicycle – seems like taking such a wide, slow vehicle down the road would cause a lot of traffic problems. But I do see the advantage of being able to bike around whenever you get to the destination, and I love the idea of doing a camping trip with it. Maybe even a cross-country excursion.

13. Jo No says:

you want a flying bicycle? I’ll give you a flying bicycle

14. This first time I saw an “invention” like this was in Kiki’s Delivery Service.