"They say London swings. It doesn't." A look at late sixties fashion in London. [via puttinonthesmile.blogspot.com]

13 Responses to “Fashion trends in "swinging London of the sixties," captured in an archival short film”

1. incipientmadness says:

It’s funny how this seems so much more dated, zeerusty even, than similar films from the late 1940′s. I think that’s probably because I have seen a lot of WWII movies. It also might be that some of these fashions were still around when I was a kid so that I actually remember when they went out of style.

2. knoxblox says:

Jo Ann Worley look-alike at 6:45.

3. lorq says:

‘Now you’ll like these. You’ll really “dig” them. They’re “fab,” and all the other pimply hyperboles…’

4. Nash Rambler says:

“They say London swings.  It doesn’t.  Not even the Kings Road, Chelsea.  But here and there among the conformist fat cat crowds is a lean cat or two, looking like it might swing, given some encouragement.”

Man, English people get to say the greatest stuff.

5. Lyle Hopwood says:

I love the eyeball on the ceiling of I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet! (And so odd to hear it pronounced val-lay after all these years out of the UK. Odd also to hear such an RP voice use a word like “gaff” for “house, place”.)

6. Boundegar says:

After about three minutes I realized this isn’t Look Around You.

7. TWX says:

At 1:43…  What’s Amy Pond doing there?  Shouldn’t she be pretending to run away from the Men in Black to confuse The Silence?

8. Dignan says:

Now if you huff and puff and you finally save enough money up to take your family on a trip across the sea – take a tip before you take your trip and let me tell you where to go: go to England-oh, England swings like a pendulum do, Bobbies on bicycles two by two, Westminster Abbey the tower Big Ben, the rosy red cheeks of the little children.

9. Frank Diekman says:

Man, that narrator really has a  bug up his ass.

10. pjcamp says:

Horrorshow forellas and vecks.