17 Responses to “Run DMC's Down with the King”

1. paco man says:

Kinda out of my element in a number of respects – posting, posting on hip hop, etc. But I loved a lot of hip hop in the late 80s early 90s, loved more from the early 80s as I got older, loved more from the late 90s older still. Don’t know what’s going on now at all. but I had some Run D-MC lps, I had this tape, I burnt it out, I tracked down Run D-MC in three cities near me for this tour. Had a great time. Don’t know if I ever saw this video at the time, but I knew some of the cameo voices.

And check out the youtube comments for the full roster for this video. I even recognized about a dozen of the other shouldabeens, hasbeens, legends, and more that knew to throw down their other stuff for this record. Hard cores, gangstas, new jack swing, little kid pop stars, Everybody got down with this!

2. hobomike says:

I miss Jam Master Jay.

3. Benjamin Terry says:

Mmm, this is nice. I like this style. I was just used to their earlier sparse DMX drum machine, turntable and umm, rock guitar chord stabs kinda style.

4. literatewench says:

I’m a little freaked out to find a video choc-full of religious iconography on boing boing. I like rap, I like 80’s music, and if the whole “down with the king” were solely related to Rodney King I’d understand and enjoy without judgement – but the message seems blatantly Christian. Which, yeah, still part of the 80’s history, but  – not really ok, for me.

• oasisob1 says:

Hello and welcome to BoingBoing. We all look forward to further commentary.

• Literate, but intolerant.

• slickhead says:

Perhaps you’ve never read Karl Popper, Jason.

“Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. – In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be most unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.”

• Felton / Moderator says:

Restrain the heretic!

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Well, I’m sure that Jesus loves you anyway.

• noah django says:

Run was an ordained minister.  and this is a mid/late 90s release.

welcome to earth.  the majority of the people adhere to some sort of religion ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• slickhead says:

Well, Duh. We come face to face with religious dogma on a daily basis.  Some of us just don’t expect to see it preached in certain places. Jason could have chosen from hundreds of hardcore rap songs but he chose one with a Christian message. Pointing that out is not intolerant. Christianity is intolerant.

5. slickhead says:

Perhaps you’ve never read Karl Popper, Jason.

“Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we
    extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are
    not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the
    intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with
    them. – In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we
    should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long
    as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by
    public opinion, suppression would certainly be most unwise. But we
    should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by
    force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us
    on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument;
    they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because
    it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their
    fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance,
    the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any
    movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we
    should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal,
    in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to
    kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.”