I'm sorry to have to report that Richard Matheson, author of such horror and science fiction classics as I Am Legend and What Dreams May Come, has died at the age of 87. According to his daughter, he died at home, peacefully, surrounded by loved ones. Our condolences to his friends and family. (Thanks, John)

16 Responses to “RIP, Richard Matheson, 1926-2013”

1. tyger11 says:

And in 3 film version of I Am Legend, not a single one ever really stayed close enough to the book to be legitimately called ‘I Am Legend’. *sigh*

2. franko says:

loved his work. i was surprised his wikipedia entry didn’t mention his cameo in “Somewhere In Time” as the Astonished Man.

3. He wrote the minimalist paranoid thriller that was Steven Spielberg’s first film, “Duel” (1971). When I was a teenager, I immersed myself in several of his novels.  I have greatly enjoyed his work.

4. Mark_Frauenfelder says:

I think he wrote more scripts for Twilight Zone than anyone but Rod Serling. I loved his stories.

5. Joe Nolan says:

As the Legend movies go, I agree that the Vincent Price one was the best. An author isn’t usually the best candidate for adapting their own work to another medium, but he did a great job with that one. He also wrote the classic The Twilight Zone episode “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet” which featured a young William Shatner and what looked like an adolescent gremlin.

6. Mitchell Glaser says:

Typo: it’s What Dreams May Come, not My Come.

7. skyhawk1 says:

R.I.P.Richard, and thank you.

8. xkot says:

What a gifted writer. Though I’ll always chiefly know him as the guy who wrote one of my favorite Star Trek episode, “The Enemy Within,” I first discovered him through “The Beardless Warriors,” found in my junior high school library, eons ago.. It’s a semi-autobiographical account of his experience in WWII. I still remember passages from it, it was so vividly written. Highly recommended.