Anti-freeze-handle ice-cream scoop

18 Responses to “Anti-freeze-handle ice-cream scoop”

1. Tim in SF says:

I’ve had one for years. They work great!

…until your roommate puts it in the dishwasher – then the heat kills the anti-freeze. But Crate and Barrel will replace it if it’s dishwashed.  (at least, they did for me – twice now)

• L_Mariachi says:

If dishwasher heat could kill anti-freeze, everyone would have to flush their car radiators after every drive to the grocery store.

2. technogeekagain says:

I find that simply using a scoop that has some (thermal) mass to it, and preheating it in hot water (dunk/rinse again if necessary to reheat) does Just Fine with no additional technology needed.

3. Ito Kagehisa says:

The shiny plating pimpled up on ours, revealing the base metal beneath.   Although I also enjoy Mr. Jalopy’s writing, I would not buy this again.  It never worked any better than my mother’s 50-year-old squeeze-handle ice cream scoop, which is still in service.

4. salsaman says:

I grew up with one of these, from the early ’70s, and it survived dishwashing fine: antifreeze within still works, and the bumpy finish is fine.

But ours didn’t have any visible plug on the end: it looked like it was made from a single, hollow piece of metal with a miracle liquid sloshing inside.

We always wondered what the liquid was and how they got it there… probably toxic and unusable by modern standards :)

• Ito Kagehisa says:

How can you tell the anti-freeze is still working if you don’t know what the liquid is and you can’t open it?

• bcsizemo says:

Well:

hollow piece of metal with a miracle liquid sloshing inside.

There is at least liquid still inside it…of course that could be from the dishwashing..

• Ito Kagehisa says:

Excellent, you found my blind spot.  Thanks!  ^_^

Put the scoop in the freezer for a week, if it still sloshes when you take it out the anti-freeze is working.

Of course it might burst if the liquid’s just dishwater, but some sacrifices will have to be made for the scientific method.

• Sean Pearcy says:

Buy some ice cream and test…duhhh.  I’ve had one of these for many years now and washed it many times.  Still dishes out ice cream without issues.

• Ito Kagehisa says:

That doesn’t prove anything; I dish out ice cream without any issues and no antifreeze at all.

I figured out the answer to my question, though, thanks to bcsizemo’s hint above.

5. SketchyTK says:

I have a scoop of similar design. It works very well & I rinse it out & dry it after each use to avoid erosion or pimpling.

6. Mike Fischer says:

Yep, that’s our go-to scoop.  Very good.  IF things start freezing to the scoop, just wrap your sweaty mitt around it and give it a few shakes.

7. penguinchris says:

Grew up with one that I presume one of my parents got in the 70′s or 80′s; it’s still around their house but nobody uses it. I guarantee that everything potentially ruinous, such as dishwashing, happened to it over the years but I think it still works decently.

Personally, if I’m scooping ice cream I use a sturdy spoon (which I then use to eat the ice cream) as it’s one less thing to clean and it works just fine. Also makes it difficult to serve yourself inordinately large servings.

8. Gilbert Wham says:

Would one with a wooden handle attached by a good, solid tang not be just as effective? And I, too, am happy to see the return of Mr J.

9. kartwaffles says:

My folks have had one just like that since the early 1980′s. It works great. As a youngster it weirded me out that many ice cream places used the kind with mechanical scrapers instead.

As for how it works: it stays warm so ice cream can’t freeze to it and stick. The handle is a pretty hefty chunk of hollow aluminum, and it’s filled with glycol or something that increases the scoop’s thermal mass even more. Dunk it in some scalding water and it works even better.

• Vieux_Foque says:

It’s not that the contained liquid stays warm. The mechanism is that the metal container and the contained liquid (ammonia, iirc) transfer heat really fast.

So the liquid is:
      1) warmed by the palm of your hand, then
      2) you tilt it downward to dip into the ice cream, where
      3) the liquid flows into the hollowed scoop structure, warming the metal, which
      4) is dipped into the cold gooey ice-creamy goodness, and
      5) heat is transferred to a thin layer of ice cream contacted by the metal scoop, which
      6) then melts, creating a thin film of liquid, reducing the friction and allowing easy carving.

Withdraw the scoop and it tilts upwards, draining the now-cold liquid back into the handle and contacting your warm palm, and the cycle is repeated.

10. Tim Veasey says:

Reviews: “My Wife was using this scoop this evening as we have for 10+ years. She scopped ice Cream for our company, and then went to rinse it off in the sink when it exploded causing severe damage to her hand. It even dented the ceiling as it blasted off from of the sink. Strangest accident I ever heard of, but this product is not safe. The water temp from the faucet was cool, not even warm.””got this, used it 2X and washed by hand, the metal on the outside has had some type of chemical reaction and turned black and crusty. wtf this thing is going back”…”started to get this black/grey residue on my hand”…”Not dishwasher safe, so as long as you and every single kid who ever uses it remembers not to put it in the dishwasher, you’re ok. If one person forgets, you have grey powder in your ice cream.”