AP reports: "A mother of three from a ritzy New York City suburb pleaded not guilty on Friday to charges she operated a secret, sophisticated pot-growing operation worth millions." She has (well, had) a big house in the wealthy Westchester County town of Scarsdale, took horse-riding lessons and drove a Benz. She's charged with growing thousands of marijuana plants at a building in Queens.

27 Responses to “Mom in upscale NY suburb charged with growing tons of weed”

1. tylerkaraszewski says:

But I already saw this show.

2. Stefan Jones says:

Wait, why am I still able to comment here?

3. Daneel says:

This is a great commenting system. They should stick with this one. Much better.

• nowimnothing says:

Yeah I am really missing in-article likes and replies. Seems like too much work to go to another webpage just to comment or read comments. I may do it when Game of Thrones* comes back on, but mostly I doubt I would bother.

*Speaking of, we never did get a review for the last episode did we?

• bcsizemo says:

Agreed.  I like the under article comments.

Anyone have any idea what you are suppose to do if you have your Discourse (or what ever it is) name reserved but no longer have that email address?…

4. Cremaster6 says:

That’s quite an operation.  I’m sure this will fall under “To Big To Fail.”

5. carlogesualdodivenosa says:

Hey, carlogesualdodivenosa lives [briefly, no doubt] again!  Discourse didn’t want to know him, for some reason.

6. Ender Wiggin says:

yet another casualty in americas war on americans.

7. Ryan Lenethen says:

Breaking Bad Season 6?

8. Kevin Pierce says:

2,800 pot plants = $3 million on the street – That’s over $1,000.00 per plant! How fantastic! I mean really, did they weigh the soil too, to get such a number?

• salsaman says:

2800 plants is A LOT of plants. At $50 per 1/8oz, that would be 2.5oz harvest/plant, so the calculation isn’t ridiculous.

• bcsizemo says:

Really it’s kind of relative.

I remember in the 90′s it wasn’t a thing to find out that a local farmer had been busted for growing pot on the back quarter acre of his farm.  It was a sort of big deal (it got a lot bigger as time went on), but really I think a fine maybe a little bit of county jail time, but that was about it.  Now a second offense was serious shit, but really…who’s going to try and grow another acre of pot outside.

It used to be pot, now it’s meth…. I think that was a bad trade off.

• kraut says:

In any halfway sane society she would be congratulated on her entrepreneurial efforts at providing economic growth and reducing the trade deficit, and be invited to join the rotary club.

• Gilbert Wham says:

HOW MUCH?! Bloody hell, I thought weed had got expensive here…

• IronEdithKidd says:

Maybe it’s really good stuff.  Purple Nurple or whatever the kids are into these days.  I have no idea.  I’m not allowed to have this sort of fun again until my kid is at college.  Because there’s a time and a place…

• wysinwyg says:

$50 per 1/8 oz is the “retail” price.  Producers don’t make $400 per oz.

• salsaman says:

• Gilbert Wham says:

home grows can net 3-4oz/plant easy, if not more. Pros ought to be doing much better, so a grand a pop isn’t too far off. Tho factoring in wholesale prices, it’s obviously less in the real world. Always divide major bust no.s by at least four…

9. peregrinus says:

*hello*!

10. Powell says:

I feel safer already!

11. UFIA says:

I can’t even read Discourse comments.  http://bbs.boingboing.net/t/ pages won’t load at all.